`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobby box decisions

Hobby box decisions
So diving back into collecting. Question I will ask has probably been asked many times before but here it goes. Two hundred budget for hobby boxes. Looking for the best ROI. Most hits and most trade bait. I really like the looks of the new Donruss but I guess those are not valued well and most do not want them. Thoughts
And go

RE: Hobby box decisions
(03-10-2020, 03:38 PM)BillyLane162 Wrote: So diving back into collecting. Question I will ask has probably been asked many times before but here it goes. Two hundred budget for hobby boxes. Looking for the best ROI. Most hits and most trade bait. I really like the looks of the new Donruss but I guess those are not valued well and most do not want them. Thoughts
And go
Yea-- I would stick to Topps products. Big problem with Donruss and other Panini products is no MLB license so no team logos on cards, caps, jerseys. To me a drawback.

Care to narrow that down a bit since there is a ton of Topps product.
(03-10-2020, 11:17 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: Yea-- I would stick to Topps products. Big problem with Donruss and other Panini products is no MLB license so no team logos on cards, caps, jerseys. To me a drawback.

In the $200.00 arena, I would have to say that Bowman's Best or Topps Finest would be your best bet. Both have solid hits and on card autos. You could probably get a couple of boxes of regular Topps, and there are some cool hits, but you also end up with tons of commons to store.

If you can wait a little while, Topps Chrome is another good choice.

Over the years, I've studied this and my best pickups, most hits, etc was Gypsy Queen.
Unless they changed the Hit ratio/ formula you can do really well ... unless you like a gamble and prospecting in a Bowman product could be very, very good or very, very bad.
For prospecting, Elite Extra Edition was my favorite over Bowman... but prospecting is prospecting for better or worse.
I'd go Gypsy Queen ... nice cards, nice paper stock, multiple autos in each box, cool exclusive box toppers, chance at great case hits.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Addendum: I was looking back and the very best hits I pulled over the years was a Nolan Ryan auto, Mike Trout reverse negative sp, a Jose Canseco auto/relic, .... So there were no huge single hits worth the price of the box, but you get some decent value. It's sorta like buying treasury bonds vs stocks. Less volatile and more dependable with less risk, but you'll never get that Big Bang (or big loss)
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Best advise is put it in Basketball because anything NBA is on fire right now. That said if you want to stay within baseball I would go either 2018 Update or 2019 Series 2.

Im guessing a box of 2018 Topps Update is well above $200.00 now.

When buying hobby boxes the right answer is always the.... Finest.... answer Smile. Topps Finest

2018-2020 are under $150 on DA though the newest one is a preorder.