`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Lions should...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Draft a player Young/Ohkuda/Simmons/Kinlaw
50.00%
4 50.00%
Trade down for more picks
50.00%
4 50.00%
Trade up for Young
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Pick #3, the Detroit Lions...

With Pick #3, the Detroit Lions...
Here's for Foley and RJ! Let's hear the homer thoughts! lol.

Lions are picking at the unenviable spot 3. However, they might be able to make it good this year. Here's a couple scenarios.

1. Stay put, and pick a player. But which one? To me it comes down to 3 players really. All on defense. The Ohkuda (sp?)at CB, Simmons at S/LB, or possibly Kinlaw at DT, if he tests well at the combine. I think this spot is too rich for an OL, or RB, and they are ok at WR. I think all of them are viable players at 3.

2. Trade down. Lions do need an infusion of talent, and were told they need to win now. There could be several teams trying to move up for QB, or Young if Young were to somehow drop here. Though as the Lions, how do you not draft Young yourself if he were to magically drop?

3. Trade up. Is young worth trading up for? In this case, pay Slay, and you have a nice couple building blocks. In fact, you should probably pay Slay either way...lol.

Let's hear your thoughts!

RE: With Pick #3, the Detroit Lions...
(02-22-2020, 12:58 PM)savagenate Wrote: Here's for Foley and RJ! Let's hear the homer thoughts! lol.

Lions are picking at the unenviable spot 3. However, they might be able to make it good this year. Here's a couple scenarios.

1. Stay put, and pick a player. But which one? To me it comes down to 3 players really. All on defense. The Ohkuda (sp?)at CB, Simmons at S/LB, or possibly Kinlaw at DT, if he tests well at the combine. I think this spot is too rich for an OL, or RB, and they are ok at WR. I think all of them are viable players at 3.

2. Trade down. Lions do need an infusion of talent, and were told they need to win now. There could be several teams trying to move up for QB, or Young if Young were to somehow drop here. Though as the Lions, how do you not draft Young yourself if he were to magically drop?

3. Trade up. Is young worth trading up for? In this case, pay Slay, and you have a nice couple building blocks. In fact, you should probably pay Slay either way...lol.

Let's hear your thoughts!
Trade number 3 to the Dolphins for their 5 and their 17.
Photobucket

(02-22-2020, 12:58 PM)savagenate Wrote: 2. Trade down. Lions do need an infusion of talent, and were told they need to win now. There could be several teams trying to move up for QB, or Young if Young were to somehow drop here. Though as the Lions, how do you not draft Young yourself if he were to magically drop?
When a team earns the #3 overall pick, they aren't in a position to "win now". Trade down, grab a couple of 1sts to get that sweet 5th year option, and be ready to compete as the rookies develop.

(02-23-2020, 12:56 AM)jplarson Wrote: When a team earns the #3 overall pick, they aren't in a position to "win now". Trade down, grab a couple of 1sts to get that sweet 5th year option, and be ready to compete as the rookies develop.
To be completely fair, before losing Stafford in week 8, they were 3-4-1 with losses to the SB Champions by 4, a 1-pt road loss at Lambeau and a TD loss at the Raiders. In the eight games following the loss of Stafford, their margin of defeat wasn't even a full touchdown per game IF you take out the weird 21-point loss to Tampa Bay. So having the #3 pick is more about circumstances than a lack of talent.
I do agree, they should trade this pick for whatever the best package of picks is and load up. Of course, you just have to hope they actually hit on those picks. If Young drops, I take Young, though.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

Agreed. We may have been the best (only? LOL) 3-12-1 team in NFL history.

As far as the pick, I don't really know.

Anybody that makes us better?

That's a cop-out answer for sure, but it's a really odd draft given where we are and what we need.

Like, we could just take the CB Okudah at 3, put him opposite Slay and hope he truly becomes a CB2 this year and then a CB1 if and when Slay leaves.

(Which I hope doesn't happen, I love Slay and finally was able to trade for one of his rookie autos not too long ago, LOL)

But it also seems like every other Lions fan except myself royally barbecued the organization for picking a TE at 8 last year because of "positional value," so is Okudah or any other CB really that great that we should be picking him that high?

(By the way ... I love Hockenson, I think he'll be great. I'm glad we picked him.)

Then you have Chase Young. Fine, if someone trades up with Washington in order to grab one of the QBs, I say sure, take him. But even then, our "Rush 3" defensive scheme completely sucks and renders pass rushers totally ineffective because they are all double teamed.

Which leaves our defensive backs and linebackers in space trying to cover for an extra second and a half, which makes drafting a CB or DE fairly pointless anyway ...

Which loops back to other positions. I agree with whoever above said there's not really a good enough RB or WR to draft that high.

Honestly, I think those areas are the strength of our team anyway.

The common glue here is OL ... I'm all for drafting the best O-lineman available at 3, with the hopes of keeping Stafford healthy.

Without him we have no shot anyway.

Which brings us to the QB position.

I like Driskel, I think he played well as the backup ... Blough actually had some moments as well.

Yes, we could go for Tua, but damn that hip injury question mark.

Plus, you've got the weird ultimatum-that-really-wasn't-an-ultimatum from ownership that says they have to be a playoff contender this year or the coach and GM are out.

So what the hell does that mean, and how does it affect the draft?

I mean, sure, adding Tua to your football team can never be a bad thing, right?

But picking him that high would be more looking long term (unless Stafford got hurt again), and would seemingly go against the grain of winning now.

So if you're still reading this (LOL), I don't know.

My ideal scenario would be that someone (or Washington, who knows) trades up to No. 2 to get a QB, which potentially takes the Tua decision out of our hands, and we end up with Young, which would make 99 percent of the Lions fans happy anyway.

Trading up for Young would be silly - if there is a market to trade to 2, it will be someone wanting to take a QB and the Lions can get Young anyway (although I think that Washington will take him - indeed, since Young, like Haskens is from the D.C. area, he might be one of the few people who actually wants to go to Washington).

I voted draft a player - although if someone offers a good trade to get a QB, Detroit definitely has to consider that

SI Mock predicted Miami trading 5, 39 and 70 for Detroit's #3. Personally don't believe that's enough.

(02-25-2020, 11:37 AM)foleylion08 Wrote: SI Mock predicted Miami trading 5, 39 and 70 for Detroit's #3. Personally don't believe that's enough.
I'm in the minority, probably, but I'm not a big believer in the trade down thing.

I mean, second round and third round picks are OK, I guess, but the real value is the 3 versus the 5, obviously.

Conceivably both Young and Okudah could be off the board by then, and if those are your two top defensive guys on your board, then you are already playing catch up and potentially panicking/overdrafting.

In other words, if you want Okudah, take him at 3 so that you make sure you get him.

Being cute by trading down and hoping/assuming he's still there at 5 is bad karma in my opinion.

It's like Hock last year at #8.

"But but but, don't draft a TE that high," said the naysayers.

Good lord, the draft position matters for exactly one day - the day they are picked.

Once they're on the field it's all about production.

So 15 years from now, if the guy has become a multiple time Pro Bowl/All-Pro type and has helped you win a Super Bowl, does it matter when he was drafted?

No.

A good example of this is the 49ers.

George Kittle is their best offensive player, and was drafted in the fifth round.

Nick Bosa is their best defensive player and was drafted #2 overall.

It literally does not matter when they are drafted.

Which is why I think a better return for 3 is 5 and 17 and give up 35 to even it out. If Okudah is gone at five, take CJ Henderson or Jeff Gladney at 17 and at 5 you have the pick of plenty of talented OL to shore up that line.

(02-26-2020, 09:48 AM)foleylion08 Wrote: Which is why I think a better return for 3 is 5 and 17 and give up 35 to even it out. If Okudah is gone at five, take CJ Henderson or Jeff Gladney at 17 and at 5 you have the pick of plenty of talented OL to shore up that line.
The 5 and 17 I would be OK with ... not interested in the second and third rounders in the other scenario.

I'd also be OK with giving up 35 ... lord knows we tend to struggle in that round anyway, LOL