`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The HOF is...

RE: The HOF is...
(02-05-2020, 07:49 AM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: All of the HOF, hockey included are the Hall of good. I also agree that unanimous is not that important. When it's voted on by people who cover teams there is room for bias. Imo throughout history there were better players than Mariano who received the only 100% vote.
When you get down to it, certainly 'good' and 'clean' are admirable qualities, but would the baseball HOF be complete without Ty Cobb? Cobb was neither good nor clean, but one of the greatest baseball players to ever stand on the diamond. The Hall is filled with drunks, reprobates and scoundrels but were stellar performers between the foul lines.... but if you cheated (scheming to steal signs) between the foul lines... that's where I draw the line. If you cheated on your wife in every away city you played throughout your career, you may not be allowed in the Husband Hall of Fame, but if you hit .375 throughout your career and you were faithful to baseball, there's a spot in the HOF, and rightly so. True, It's not the Hall of Good and Clean, but there's no place there for people that sullied the integrity of the game.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-05-2020, 09:18 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Cobb was neither good nor clean
I would urge you to read up on Cobb. You may be surprised to find that he was not what he is commonly portrayed to be. One book I highly recommend is "Ty Cobb. A Terrible Beauty" by Charles Leerhsen. It's a good read.

(02-05-2020, 12:32 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: I would urge you to read up on Cobb. You may be surprised to find that he was not what he is commonly portrayed to be. One book I highly recommend is "Ty Cobb. A Terrible Beauty" by Charles Leerhsen. It's a good read.
I've read a couple of other books regarding Ty Cobb.... but not "Terrible Beauty" ... I'll give it a read once I get a free moment or two!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.