`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
Denton True Young began his professional baseball career in 1890 with the Cleveland Spiders of the National League. He would go on to pitch for St. Louis and Boston before returning to Cleveland and then Boston again. His Major League record of 511 Wins will never be broken but did you know that he also holds the record for the most ML losses at 315? He threw three No-hitters including a perfect game and led his league in Victories five times, ERA twice, Strikeouts twice as well as winning the pitching Triple Crown. Although he never won it himself, the Cy Young Award was named after him. I have 150 different Beckett recognized cards of Cy Young in my collection. Here's a look at nine of them.

1961 Golden Press #33 Cy Young
2002 Topps 206 Tolstoi Red #180 Cy Young REP
2003 SP Legendary Cuts Etched in Time 175 #CY Cy Young

2005 Upper Deck Hall of Fame Green #88 Cy Young PC (This green parallel from UD's 2005 HOF set displayed Cy's HOF plaque.)
2010 Topps Legends Platinum Chrome Wal-Mart Cereal #PC9 Cy Young (In 2010 Topps issued some cards in mini boxes styled after cereal boxes. This is an insert pulled from one of those.)
2010 Topps Tribute Black #79 Cy Young T205

2012 Panini Cooperstown #157 Cy Young SP (A short print from the Cooperstown set.)
2013 Panini Cooperstown Gold Crystal #2 Cy Young
2013 Panini Cooperstown Lumberjacks #50 Cy Young
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

You are a walking sports encyclopedia (for all you old-timers that remember what those are).

(08-07-2021, 10:11 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: You are a walking sports encyclopedia (for all you old-timers that remember what those are).
Baseball maybe. I do study the careers of the players I collect.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

Jeff Bagwell was born in Boston, drafted by the Red Sox in 1989 out of the University of Hartford and then dealt to the Astros for pitcher Larry Andersen in one of several of the Sox's stupidest trades in history. Andersen went on to pitch 22 innings for the Sox while Bagwell clubbed 449 home runs for the Astros in his Hall of Fame career. He is the only player in MLB history to post six consecutive seasons with 30 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs scored and 100 walks. A Rookie of the Year, Gold Glove Award winner, four-time All-star and NL MVP, Jeff was one of the most consistent players of his generation. I have 1690 unique Beckett recognized cards of Jeff in my collection. Here are nine including an auto and a bunch of game-used relics.

1992 Triple Play Gallery #GS7 Jeff Bagwell Autographed (In person auto not obtained by me including a ROY '91 post script )
2001 SP Game Bat Milestone Piece of Action Milestone #JB Jeff Bagwell
2001 Topps Reserve Game Bats #TRRJB Jeff Bagwell

2002 Fleer Maximum Americas Game Jersey #1 Jeff Bagwell
2002 UD Piece of History Tape Measure Heroes Jersey #JB Jeff Bagwell
2003 Topps Record Breakers Relics #JB Jeff Bagwell Uni B1

2003 Upper Deck Play Ball Game Used Memorabilia Tier 2 #JB2 Jeff Bagwell Jsy
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Swatch Five Reverse #130
2005 Prime Cuts Material Jersey Position #22 Jeff Bagwell/50

(08-09-2021, 07:10 AM)zeprock Wrote: Jeff Bagwell was born in Boston, drafted by the Red Sox in 1989 out of the University of Hartford and then dealt to the Astros for pitcher Larry Andersen in one of several of the Sox's stupidest trades in history. Andersen went on to pitch 22 innings for the Sox while Bagwell clubbed 449 home runs for the Astros in his Hall of Fame career. He is the only player in MLB history to post six consecutive seasons with 30 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs scored and 100 walks. A Rookie of the Year, Gold Glove Award winner, four-time All-star and NL MVP, Jeff was one of the most consistent players of his generation. I have 1690 unique Beckett recognized cards of Jeff in my collection. Here are nine including an auto and a bunch of game-used relics.

1992 Triple Play Gallery #GS7 Jeff Bagwell Autographed (In person auto not obtained by me including a ROY '91 post script )
2001 SP Game Bat Milestone Piece of Action Milestone #JB Jeff Bagwell
2001 Topps Reserve Game Bats #TRRJB Jeff Bagwell

2002 Fleer Maximum Americas Game Jersey #1 Jeff Bagwell
2002 UD Piece of History Tape Measure Heroes Jersey #JB Jeff Bagwell
2003 Topps Record Breakers Relics #JB Jeff Bagwell Uni B1

2003 Upper Deck Play Ball Game Used Memorabilia Tier 2 #JB2 Jeff Bagwell Jsy
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Swatch Five Reverse #130
2005 Prime Cuts Material Jersey Position #22 Jeff Bagwell/50

I can't see any of your pics for some reason.  Love Bagwell.  Was a great trade in my opinion!  (Says a die hard Astros fan)
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

(08-10-2021, 05:06 PM)benner73 Wrote: I can't see any of your pics for some reason.  Love Bagwell.  Was a great trade in my opinion!  (Says a die hard Astros fan)
I have the same problem - I can't figure it out, but to see them, right click on the photo and then click on open in a different tab.  This should work.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I can't explain why some computers will show the images and others won't. I can tell you I have 3 computers at home and I can see images on all three. I have two computers at my TV station job and can see images on both of them. I have two computers at my radio station job and can only see images on one of them. I don't know what is different about that one computer but all I see are the icons that you can click on. Benner73, I can see all of the images in your reply to my post.

Nomar Garciaparra was my favorite current player to collect from 1997 - 2004. He was a star for the hometown BoSox and looked like he was destined for a Hall of Fame career. I built a very nice collection of his cards during that time and then he got injured. Then he got injured again. Then he got sour. Then he got benched. Then he got traded. Then he fizzled out  coming up short of what I had anticipated for him. I had never heard the name "Nomar" and then I learned it was his father, Ramon's name spelled backward. He came up with Arod and Jeter and the three of them were often grouped together as the new generation of elite shortstops. He had his idiosyncrasies and mannerisms as he prepared to bat. He was a Rookie of the Year, the first right-handed batter to win consecutive Batting titles since DiMaggio, a six-time All-star, won a Silver Slugger, a Comeback Player of the Year and posted the highest batting average of any right-handed batter in the post-war era when he batted .372 in 2000. He is married to soccer player Mia Hamm. Today I have 1631 unique Beckett recognized cards of "Nomah". Here are nine from my collection.

1994 Signature Rookies Draft Picks Signatures #12 Nomar Garciaparra (This card came from vnewlands in Australia, my only trade to date with someone on that continent.)
1998 Pacific Omega EO Portraits #2 Nomar Garciaparra (Another innovative design from Pacific that features Nomar's face die cut into the background.)
1998 Revolution Major League Icons #2 Nomar Garciaparra

1999 Pacific Prism Ballpark Legends #2 Nomar Garciaparra
2000 Topps HD Platinum #84 Nomar Garciaparra (I pulled this out of a dollar box in a card shop back in 2001.)
2001 Fleer Legacy Tailor Made #8 Nomar Garciaparra (This card was the first one I successfully got added to the OPG as it was not previously listed. I believe it may have been an after market card or given out in place of an unfulfilled redemption.)

2001 Fleer Red Sox 100th Splendid Splinters Game Bat #4 Nomar Garciaparra
2001 SP Authentic Limited #25 Nomar Garciaparra
(A fairly recent pickup from Kerry O.)
2004 Donruss Press Proofs Gold #20 Nomar Garciaparra DK
(This is serial numbered 23/25.)

(08-11-2021, 06:08 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I have the same problem - I can't figure it out, but to see them, right click on the photo and then click on open in a different tab.  This should work.
Thank you.  That worked.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this thread going. The boards were rather dead so I started it more than a year ago to celebrate my 50 years of collecting and I have posted most every other day as I've gone through the cards I have from the past 70+ years. I've thrown in random posts of different themes and of course posts of so many of the different players that I collect. Most of the player cards I already had scanned because I feature them on my website and it's been fun going through my collection scanning in other oddball items and food issues. I've made my way up through the year 2020 and will hold off on posting my 2021 cards until later since I don't have that many yet. I still have a bunch of players that I collect that I haven't featured yet and will continue to post them. I'll try to keep coming up with different "themes" just to break up the monotony of the players and will take suggestions on that front if there's something you'd like to see.

That being said, here is a "theme" for today's post. Often times baseball card companies get their player photos mixed up or they just plain get duped. Today, just for fun, I am posting nine cards from my collection that all feature a mistaken identity.

1963 Topps #113 Don Landrum UER/Photo is actually Ron Santo (Over a nine-year career with the Phillies, Cardinals, Cubs and Giants, Don put together a less than mediocre season's worth of stats including a .234 lifetime batting average to go with 12 home runs and 75 RBI. Only problem with this card is, that's not Don. Instead it pictures HOFer Ron Santo.)
1966 Topps #447 Dick Ellsworth UER/Photo actually/Ken Hubbs (What's worse than being mistaken for the wrong player on your card? Being mistaken for a deceased player. Back to the Cubbies for this one. Dick Ellsworth pitched parts of 14 seasons in the Majors but on this card, the late Ken Hubbs who had died unexpectedly two years earlier in a plane crash is featured.)
1969 Topps #653 Aurelio Rodriguez RC/UER Photo is/Angels batboy Leonard Garcia
(This card features then Angels' batboy Leonard Garcia instead of Rodriguez.)

1973 Topps #360 Joe Rudi UER/Photo actually/Gene Tenace (This is probably the only case of mistaken identity to appear on an "action" card. Joe Rudi was a star on the World Championship A's teams of the early 1970s but so was Gene Tenace who is pictured here being congratulated by two of his teammates, neither of which is Rudi, after slugging a home run.)
1982 Fleer #207 Rodney Scott UER/Photo actually/Tim Raines (Here's another case where a future HOFer was mistaken for another player. Rodney Scott was known as "Cool Breeze" and he played for the Royals, Expos, A's, Cubs and Yankees but this isn't him on this card. Both Fleer and Donruss were notorious for their multiple mistakes the first couple of years after they got back into the business of releasing baseball cards due to their rush to get product out. This card actually features Scott's teammate, HOFer Tim "Rock" Raines.)
1985 Donruss #424A Tom Seaver ERR/Photo actually/Floyd Bannister (Here's a case where another player was mistaken for a HOFer. Donruss actually went back and corrected this card once they realized that this was lefty Floyd Bannister pictured and not the great Tom Seaver who was right-handed.)

1990 Donruss Bonus MVP's #BC12A J.Smoltz ERR Glavine (I don't know if there ever was another card that mistook two HOFers for each other but this one from Donruss pictures Tom Glavine as John Smoltz. They really didn't even look alike.)
1995 Topps Traded #12T J.LeBron RC UER Beltran (This is Carlos Beltran's rookie card although the name reads Juan LeBron. Likewise LeBron is pictured on Beltran's card from the same set. Way to go Topps!)
2001 Bowman Chrome #259 Miguel Cabrera UER/Denny Bautista pictured (Topps screwed up again on Miguel Cabrera's Bowman rookie card by featuring Denny Bautista. Denny pitched for six teams in six years, none of which were the Marlins, before heading overseas to play in Japan. He was a teammate of Cabrera with the Tigers in 2008.)

Aurelio Rodriguez - One of my favorite players growing up. Not slighting Brooks at all, but Aurelio Rodriguez deserved at least 1 or 2 gold gloves. I played 3rd base and emulated Aurelio Rodriguez - at least until Mike Schmidt came along. Why goes my post include Aurelio Rodriguez so many times - I still love saying his name out loud in a Philadelphia / Spanish accent with my toung rolling and bouncing - Aureliooooo Rodddddriguez. I'm weird but it put a smile on my face typing this in and recalling playing stickball with the gang in our "home" dilapidated parking garage. We were the "little guys" (7-9 yrs old) and had to be off the "field" by 10 so the older kids could play - play would resume for us at our elementry school playing "half-sies" against the building - hitting the 4th floor wall was a homer. What a glorious time!!!!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.