`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
kerryandbeth Wrote:Your photos are not showing.
I'm seeing them. They may take a minute to load. I have noticed that I have one computer at one of my workplaces that will not show the photos. All the other computers do. I don't know what is different about that one computer.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

zeprock Wrote:I'm seeing them. They may take a minute to load. I have noticed that I have one computer at one of my workplaces that will not show the photos. All the other computers do. I don't know what is different about that one computer.

Depending on the computer/phone/system I'm on, pics show sometimes and not others. Usually the work comp doesn't show but that's to be expected. You're good.

On another note, your thread is appreciated.  I enjoy seeing other people's cards and the story behind them so please keep them coming.

Yep, they show up now.

Michael Jack Schmidt, in my opinion is the third baseman by which all other third basemen should be measured. A 12-time All-star, 10-time Gold Glove Award winner, 8-time Home Run leader, 6-time Silver Slugger, 3-time MVP and a World Champion, Schmidt had to be the most feared slugger in the NL throughout the '70s and '80s. I currently have 651 different Beckett recognized cards of Mike including these nine from my collection.

1975 Kellogg's #56 Mike Schmidt
1976 SSPC #470 Mike Schmidt
1976 Topps #480 Mike Schmidt

1995 Upper Deck Special Edition Gold #208 Mike Schmidt TRIB (I just picked this up from crazyforkinsler5 last month.)
2004 Donruss Timelines Call to the Hall Material #15 Mike Schmidt Bat
2004 Topps Tribute HOF Relics #MSB Mike Schmidt Bat G

2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Emerald #45 Mike Schmidt HDR
2005 Zenith Artist's Proofs Silver #233 Mike Schmidt
2007 Topps Sterling Framed White Suede #230 Mike Schmidt
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

Baseball has been popular in Cuba since the late 1800s. Former dictator Fidel Castro himself was quite a ballplayer and may have been scouted by the Major Leagues back in the day. There are currently four Cuban ball players enshrined in Cooperstown with Tony Perez being the best known. The other three are players from the Negro Leagues. Jose Canseco was one of the most popular players and some of the many current players are Jose Abreu, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada and Yasiel Puig. Back near the beginning of this thread I showed some of my postage stamps from my collection. Today I am showing you some more postage stamps. These were all issued in Cuba.

1962 Cuba Postage Stamps (Promoting Latin American baseball.)
1967 Cuba Postage Stamps Panamerican Games (Commemorating the Pan American Games in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.)
1971 Cuba Postage Stamps (This stamp commemorates the 1971 Baseball World Cup held in Havana.)
1971 Cuba Postage Stamps (Baseball World Cup of Amateurs series.)

1972 Cuba Postage Stamps (This is dedicated to amateur baseball world championships.)
1974 Cuba Postage Stamps (This one's inscribed 12th Central American and  Caribbean games in Santo Domingo.)
1974 Cuba Postage Stamps History of Baseball (This stamp commemorating the history of baseball depicts late 1800s Cuban second-baseman Emilio Sabourin.)
1974 Cuba Postage Stamps History of Baseball (This stamp depicts modern baseball and shows a batter, a catcher, and home plate umpire.)
1982 Cuba Postage Stamps (This one commemorates the Central American and Caribbean Games series in 1982.)

1983 Cuba Postage Stamps (This one shows "High Baseball", with the inscription and name of series IX Pan-American Games, Caracas.)
1995 Cuba Postage Stamps (This stamp promotes the 1995 Pan American Games in Mar del Plata, Argentina.)
1996 Cuba Postage Stamps Olympics (This two-part stamp commemorates the 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta.)

Next up is the great Mel Ott, a lifetime New York Giant who led the NL in home runs six times and was an All-star 11 years in a row. Only 5'9'' tall he was the first National Leaguer to reach 500 lifetime home runs and upon his retirement had 200 more home runs than the next-highest National Leaguer. Next to the unrelated Ed Ott, he has the shortest name in MLB history. He was the first of three Hall of Famers from the New York Giants to die as the result of a car accident preceeding Frankie Frisch and Carl Hubbell. Ott was 49 years old. My oldest card of a Hall of Famer is Mel's 1940 Play Ball card which I showed in my first post on this thread. I have 145 different Beckett recognized cards of "Master Melvin" as of this posting. Here are nine from my collection including some vintage, some serial numbered and a short print.

1960 Fleer #36 Mel Ott DP
1961 Fleer #68 Mel Ott
1961 Golden Press #1 Mel Ott

1963 Bazooka ATG #36 Mel Ott
2005 Ultimate Collection Silver #123 Mel Ott RET
2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Emerald #156 Mel Ott

2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Emerald #160 Mel Ott HDR
2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Red #159 Mel Ott
2012 Panini Cooperstown #161 Mel Ott SP

Here are nine cards from my collection that were all issued in 1997.

1997 Bowman's Best Preview Atomic Refractor #4 Derek Jeter
1997 Bowman's Best Preview Refractor #6 Mark McGwire (Here's another recent pickup from crazyforkinsler5.)
1997 Circa Rave Reviews #6 Greg Maddux
(This came in from Virginia  a couple weeks ago.)

1997 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures #8 Larry Doby (Got this one from aprirr.)
1997 Donruss Team Sets Pennant Edition #123 Derek Jeter (Pulled this from a dollar box at a card shop.)
1997 Fleer #512 David Arias-Ortiz RC
(This was included in a starter set of 1997 Fleer given to me in the early 2000s.)

1997 Score Titanic Taters #15 Barry Bonds
1997 Studio Hard Hats #3 Ken Griffey Jr.
1997 Yankees Score Platinum #3 Derek Jeter

BTW: The Cuban baseball stamp collection was a very cool & interesting “side trip”
Thanks for sharing
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The next player up is Hank Greenberg. A 5-time All-star, 4-time Home Run Champion, 4-time RBI Leader, two-time MVP and two-time World Champion, the "Hebrew Hammer" was a premiere slugger who like Ted Williams, lost five prime years to military service. He played all but one year of his MLB career with the Detroit Tigers and was the first MLB player to hit 25 or more home runs in each league. After his playing days he worked as an executive in the offices of the Indians and White Sox. I only have 82 Beckett recognized cards of Hank in my collection as of this posting. Here are nine of them.

1961 Golden Press #4 Hank Greenberg
2002 Topps 206 Polar Bear #446 Hank Greenberg RET
2003 SP Legendary Cuts #51 Hank Greenberg/1299

2003 Topps Tribute World Series #16 Hank Greenberg 34
2004 Sweet Spot Classic #109 Hank Greenberg FF/1941
2004 Topps Tribute HOF Relics #HG Hank Greenberg Bat E

2010 Topps Tribute Black #48 Hank Greenberg
2011 Topps #150B Hank Greenberg SP
2012 Panini Cooperstown #167 Hank Greenberg SP

This thread has now become the most-viewed thread I have ever posted in my 18 years of posting in this forum. Time for another oddball post and today I am posting nine "Superhero" cards. As a kid my brother and I used to watch Batman and Superman on TV and dream of saving the world ourselves if Mom would just let us stay up a little later past our bedtime.

1988 Pacific Trading Cards #NNO Bo Jackson (Most people would call this a "Broder" but that has become a generic term for many unlicensed cards throughout the 80s and 90s. This was produced by Pacific Trading Cards (not the better known Pacific of Pacific Crown fame) and features Bo Jackson when he was just getting started sporting the Auburn University emblem on his chest and a cape so long it would get caught in his bicycle spokes. Bo really was a Superman of sorts doing things on the diamond that many of us had never seen before.)
1991 Texas Ranger #NNO Nolan Ryan (Westerns were big back when I was a kid in the 60s and Zorro and The Lone Ranger were a couple of my heroes. I don't know who produced this card of Nolan Ryan in his gunslinger gear, but you have to admit he looks rather heroic. I've seen a horizontal version of this card on eBay listed at $400 but I'm pretty sure I paid a buck or less for this one.)
1993 Cardtoons #4 Don Battingly (It's not Batman but Don Battingly minus his sidekick, Batboy. He plays for the Crankies, lives in a bat cage and drives pitchers batty. This card lives in my Don Mattingly collection.)

1993 Classic Superheroes #SS3 Ken Griffey Jr. (This Superhero was randomly inserted into Classic's Deathwatch 2,000 110-card set.)
1993 Fun Pack #32 Cal Ripken HERO (Like the Ozzie Smith wizard card I showed you a few posts ago, this too is from Upper Deck's 1993 Fun Pack set and features "The Ripper", known for his titanic blasts from his powerful wooden spear and his heroic work with his glove in his neverending quest to catch and conquer the elusive Iron Hourse in the battle for eternity. A cool card pulled from a 25 cent pack.)
1996 Stadium Club Megaheroes #MH8 Roger Clemens (This Stadium Club insert set featured super-heroic players matched with a comic book-style illustration depicting their nicknames. Roger of course was "The Rocket".)

1998 Metal Universe Diamond Heroes #4 Alex Rodriguez (This is from a Fleer/Skybox Metal Universe insert set and features ARod about to battle some sort of giant alien sandworm.)
1998 SkyBox Dugout Axcess SuperHeroes #SH1 Barry Bonds (This insert from Skybox Dugout Axcess features Barry Bonds and his Marvel Comics counterpart, Thor. The back of the card states that Bonds wields thunder much like the Asgardian hero, Thor, striking like lightning and launching baseballs into the stratosphere. Both were famous for swinging a mighty hammer but unlike Thor who battles the Frost Giants, Bonds fought along side the San Francisco Giants.)
1999 Sports Illustrated for Kids II #840 Ivan Rodriguez BB (Cut from the pages of Sports Illustrated for Kids, this card depicts IRod as Darth Vader, not a super hero but rather a super villain.)