`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
In my Hall of Fame collection, it has always been extra special when I can pick up a new card for my collection of a pre-1950s player. They are less known and obviously played in a different era and there aren't as many cards produced of them. Most of my collections of those players are less than 50 different cards. Sure there are exceptions like Cobb, Gehrig and Ruth, even Cy Young and Honus Wagner. One of my unreasonable goals is to obtain at least one relic card of every Hall of Famer. The pre-war guys are the most difficult for me to find but in today's post, I am showing off nine relic cards of some old-time Hall of Famers. 

2003 SP Legendary Cuts Historic Swatches Green #WA1 W.Alston Ahead Jsy/250 (Walt Alston played with the Cardinals in 1936 but is known primarily as the Dodgers' long-time manager taking them to the World Series seven times and winning four times. I currently have 37 different Beckett recognized cards of Walt including this jersey swatch.)
2003 Topps Gallery HOF ARTifact Relics #SC Sam Crawford Bat D (Crawford played from 1899 - 1917 breaking in with the Reds and then spending 14 years with the Tigers. I've got 36 unique Beckett recognized cards of Sam in my collection including this beautiful bat card.)
2006 SP Legendary Cuts Baseball Chronology Materials #CN Joe Cronin Bat (Joe Cronin broke in with the Pirates in 1926 and the MVP winner and eight-time All-star went on to play and manage both the Senators and the Red Sox and eventually became the President of the American League. As of this posting I have 53 Beckett recognized cards of Joe including this bat relic. It's a Red Sox card picturing him in a Senators uni.)

2010 Topps Tribute Relics Blue #HN Hal Newhouser (Newhouser broke in with the Tigers in 1939 and became a six-time All-star, a two-time MVP, won the pitching Triple Crown and led his league in ERA and Strikeouts twice each and Victories four times. Add a World Championship and there's your Hall of Famer. I currently have 47 Beckett recognized cards of Hal including this jersey swatch from Topps Tribute.)
2013 Panini Golden Age Museum Age Memorabilia #8 Bill Terry (Bill Terry played for the New York Giants from 1923 to 1936 and managed them near the end of his career. I have 40 different Beckett recognized cards of Terry as of this posting including this bat card.)
2013 Panini Golden Age Museum Age Memorabilia #29 Dave Bancroft (Bancroft played from 1915-1930 with the Phillies, Braves, Dodgers and Giants. I only have 16 Beckett recognized cards of Bancroft in my collection but one of them is this bat relic.)

2014 Panini National Treasures All Decade Materials #17 Billy Herman/99 (Herman, a 10-time All-star, started his MLB career in 1931 with the Cubbies and went on to play with the Dodgers, Braves and Pirates before managing the Bucs one year and spending a couple at the helm of the Red Sox. I have 42 different Beckett recognized cards of Billy including this bat piece.)
2016 Prime Cuts Timeline Materials Quads #TQLA Luke Appling/25 (A seven-time All-star who spent his entire 20-year playing career with the White Sox, I have 54 unique Beckett recognized cards of Luke Appling including this beauty.)
2017 Panini National Treasures #66 Jim Bottomley/49 (Bottomley played from 1922-1937 for the Browns, Reds and Cardinals. A MVP winner and two-time World Champion, I currently have 40 different Beckett recognized cards of Bottomley in my collection including this bat relic.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Sounds like someone from Beckett just came up with a cool idea. Showcase nine cards to fill a 9-pocket page and base it around a theme. Sounds a bit familiar to me. Where do they come up with these ideas?

https://www.beckett.com/news/one-sheet-c...mlb-stars/
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

zeprock Wrote:Sounds like someone from Beckett just came up with a cool idea. Showcase nine cards to fill a 9-pocket page and base it around a theme. Sounds a bit familiar to me. Where do they come up with these ideas?

https://www.beckett.com/news/one-sheet-c...mlb-stars/
I've often thought of just invoicing Beckett for all the content I generate on their site for them.

In 1984 I began working at a record one-stop after they closed all our shoe shops and sent our jobs to Puerto Rico and Taiwan. The state government offered to re-train us for new careers and came in to the shop and gave us all aptitude tests. Apparently I aced my tests because they told me I could go into any field I wanted and I would probably be successful. I chose broadcasting and signed up for classes at the New England School of Broadcasting that would begin the following year. Until then I was driving my new boss's Datsun 280Z all over the state of Maine servicing little Mom & Pop stores with budget cassettes.

I managed to get all three sets that year, Donruss, Fleer and Topps as well as the Fleer Update set and the Topps Traded set. Good call on the Fleer Update as that set went way above the $50 I paid for it. Here are nine cards from my 1984 collection.

1984 Donruss #41 Joe Carter RR RC (I first became aware of Joe Carter when he was slugging for the Indians. I completely forgot that his first card was with the Cubs.)
1984 Donruss #248 Don Mattingly RC/UER traiing on back (Maybe it is just me but I thought if you put Don in a Van Halen t-shirt and Eddie Van Halen in a Yankees cap, they could be doppelgangers for each other. RIP Eddie.)
1984 Fleer #131 Don Mattingly RC

1984 Fleer Update #27 Roger Clemens XRC (When I bought this set, I asked if Clemens would be able to put together a stellar career and the card shop owner told me that he had a solid head on his shoulders and would more than likely end up an all-time great. I bought the set.)
1984 Fleer Update #43 Dwight Gooden XRC (Like his teammate, Strawberry, Doc never realized his true potential but boy, his first few seasons were amazing.)
1984 Fleer Update #93 Kirby Puckett XRC

1984 O-Pee-Chee #8 Don Mattingly RC (Canada's version of his Topps rookie.)
1984 Topps #8 Don Mattingly RC
1984 Topps Traded #42T Dwight Gooden XRC

Do you have any Nestle cards?
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

jack pfiester Wrote:Do you have any Nestle cards?
I have one I pictured in post 77 and another in post 184 unless you're specifically referring to the 1984 Nestle parallel set in which case I have about a dozen and many more on my wantlist.

I first became aware of Bob Lemon when I pulled his Royals manager card out of a pack of 1971 Topps. It wasn't until later I learned that he had been a star pitcher for the Indians for a decade and a half. He was a 7-time All-star who led his league in Victories three times and strikeouts once. He threw a no-hitter in 1948 and would add a World Championship that year. He later went on to manage the White Sox and Yankees picking up another ring in 1978. I currently have 68 Beckett recognized cards of Bob in my collection. Here are nine of them.

1957 Topps #120 Bob Lemon
1958 Topps #2B Bob Lemon YT (The rare variation with the team name in yellow instead of white. I have both versions.)
1960 Topps #460 Indians Coaches/Mel Harder/Jo Jo White/Bob Lemon/Ralph Kress (Pictured with his co-coaches going into the Tribe's 1960 season.)

1983 Topps 1952 Reprint #268 Bob Lemon
1991 Topps Archives '53 #284 Bob Lemon Autographed (In person auto not obtained by me.)
2001 Bowman Chrome Rookie Reprints #6 Bob Lemon

2005 Upper Deck Classics Gold #11 Bob Lemon
2008 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Memorabilia 75 #LE Bob Lemon
2013 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini A and G Back #311 Bob Lemon

I've posted several food issues since I started this thread and I also did a post on cards with an automotive theme. There were many other places to pick up oddball cards especially in the 80s and 90s. Here is a mix of cards from businesses other than the grocery store, gas station or restaurant. See if you can guess which type of business each of these cards came from.

1986 True Value #26 Nolan Ryan (Representing the hardware industry is this card which came in a four-card panel featuring three player cards and a True Value Hardware product card. These were originally distributed at True Value Hardware stores with the purchase of $5 or more.)
1988 MSA Fantastic Sam's Discs #9 Don Mattingly (These discs were produced by MSA and given away free each time a customer visited a Fantastic Sam's, a national chain of family haircutters with more than 1,200 locations. Each disc is attached to a contest disc with a scratch-off for a potential prize. I thought it fitting to have Mattingly represent the hair care industry as he had such a "hairy" relationship with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner who benched him in 1991 because he refused to get his hair cut.)
1989 Yankees Score Nat West #32 Thurman Munson MEM (This is a tribute card issued on the tenth anniversary of Thurman's death included in this set produced by Score and given away at a 1989 New York Yankees home game. The set is sponsored by the United Kingdom's National Westminster Bank.)

1990 Aflac #NNO Ryne Sandberg (This is an Aflac card representing the largest provider of supplemental insurance in the United States. I'm guessing on the date as there is none printed on the card and I haven't been able to find any other info on it. I don't know if it's a one-off or if it is from a set.)
1990 Pan Am Team USA Red BDK #23 Frank Thomas (Printed by the BDK Card Company, this rookie year Frank Thomas card represents Pan American World Airways and is from a set featuring the 1990 Team USA.)
1994 Armco Steel Company Iron Man #NNO Cal Ripken Jr. (This unlicensed Ripken card represents the American Rolling Mill Company also known as Armco Steel based in Middletown, Ohio. It makes sense that a steel company would feature a card of the Iron Man.)

1998 McGwire Dental #1 Mark McGwire (Representing dentistry, the back of this card has advice on how to protect one's teeth. This card is a one card set.)
1999 Sotheby's Halper Auction Amazon #2 Babe Ruth/Last Bat (This is from a 16-card set issued to preview the sale of the Barry Halper collection by Sotheby's Auction House. The late Halper's collection was huge and unrivaled and prior to the auction Sotheby's released a three-volume book, The Barry Halper Collection of Baseball Memorabilia, that included over 1,500 color photographs of the collection, giving history for many of the items, details about Halper's collection through the years, and a history of baseball. I have this book as well as a sheet listing all of the items in the collection and what they sold for. Many of the items ended up in the Hall of Fame although after Halper's passing there was some controversy as to the authenticity of some of the items.)
2007 Upper Deck Holiday Inn #16 Derek Jeter (Representing the hotel industry, this Jeter card is from a 60-card set. Members of the Holiday Inn Priority Club who stayed at a participating Holiday Inn hotel between May 31, 2007 and July 30, 2007, would receive one, four-card pack for each night's stay. Each pack contained three base cards and one Cal Ripken, Jr. insert.)

The next player that I collect that came up on the randomizer is Josh Gibson. I love it every time I can get my hands on a card of a Negro Leaguer simply because they are so few and far between. Gibson was one of their biggest stars and I believe he would have given Ruth's records a run for their money had he been allowed to play in the Major Leagues. Legend has it that Gibson hit more than 800 home runs but you have to be cognizant of the fact that Josh played a lot of his games barnstorming against local fire departments and other pick-up teams. Stats are incomplete but he played sixteen-years with the Pittsburgh Crawfords and the Homestead Grays and according to my research, he led his league in home runs 11 times (!), was a 13-time All-star and a 5-time MVP. All of that before his untimely death at the age of 35. Josh was the second Negro Leaguer inducted into the Hall of Fame after Satchel Paige. I currently have 145 different Beckett recognized cards of Mr. Gibson. Here are nine from my collection.

1990 Negro League Stars #2 Josh Gibson
2001 Fleer Tradition Stitches in Time #ST9 Josh Gibson
2003 SP Legendary Cuts #70 Josh Gibson/1299

2003 SP Legendary Cuts Etched in Time 175 #JG Josh Gibson
2004 Topps Tribute HOF #27 Josh Gibson
2005 Bowman Sterling #JGI Josh Gibson Seat C (This card contains a slice of a seat from Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.)

2005 Topps Turkey Red White #306 Josh Gibson RET
2013 Sportkings #273 Josh Gibson
2014 Panini Hall of Fame Crusades Purple #42 Josh Gibson

Moving up to the next year as I go through my collection bringing me to 1985. I started broadcasting school that year and by December I was interning at the local NBC affiliate in Bangor, Maine. Clemens and Puckett's first mainstream cards appeared for the first time that year and this post is heavy with them. Here you go. Nine cards from my collection all released in 1985.

1985 Donruss #273 Roger Clemens RC
1985 Donruss #438 Kirby Puckett RC
1985 Fleer #155 Roger Clemens RC

1985 Fleer #286 Kirby Puckett RC
1985 Leaf/Donruss #99 Roger Clemens RC (The Canadian version of the Donruss rookie.)
1985 Seven-Eleven Coins #C1 Nolan Ryan (I never had a Slurpee from 7-Eleven but have acquired more than 70 of the "coins" that were issued with them.)

1985 Topps #181 Roger Clemens RC
1985 Topps #401 Mark McGwire OLY RC
(At one time this was THE card to own.)
1985 Topps #536 Kirby Puckett RC