`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
Posting some "oddball" cards today. Sometimes baseball cards are issued in conjunction with a charitable cause. All of these cards from my collection have some sort of connection to charity.

1972 Jimmy Fund Yawkey Red Sox Early Years #NNO Jimmie Foxx (This set of 45 unnumbered cards, not recognized by Beckett, feature Red Sox players from the 1930s and promote the Red Sox' longtime charity, the Jimmy Fund. The backs look like they were typed by a typewriter and along with some player information, they read, "Help fight cancer in children. Give to the Jimmy Fund.")
1987 Leaf Special Olympics #H1 Mickey Mantle (This 18-card set, also known as the Candy City Team set, featured several MLBers as well as other generic sports. The entire set could be obtained by mailing in a $1 donation to benefit the Special Olympics.)
1991 MDA All-Stars #16 Harmon Killebrew (This card is from a 20-card set produced by Smith-Kline Beecham for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.)

1993 ALS Association #NNO Lou Gehrig (This card, also not recognized by Beckett, promotes the ALS Association's fight for a cure for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. This disease is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease after he succumbed to it at the age of 37.)
1995 Megacards Griffey Jr. Wish List #2 Make-a-Wish Foundation (A percentage of the proceeds from this 25-card Ken Griffey Jr. set benefited the Make-A-Wish Foundation.)
1997 Burger King Ripken #1 Cal Ripken Jr./Batting (This 8-card Ripken set could be bought in three-card packs at participating Burger Kings for 99 cents a pack with the purchase of a Value Meal. All proceeds from this promotion benefited the Ripken Charities.)

1997 Denny's Holograms #29 Jackie Robinson/50th Anniversary Commemorative (Each card in this 3-D set produced by Pinnacle could be purchased for 59 cents at Denny's Restaurants with the purchase of an entree or a non-alcoholic beverage. A significant portion of the proceeds went to support Denny's national charity, Save the Children.)
2001 CapCure #5 Tony Gwynn/Ivan Rodriguez (These un-numbered cards were found together on a perforated serial numbered sheet. Two players are featured on each card, one on the front and one on the back. Ivan Rodriguez is featured on the reverse side of this card. CapCure is a charity dedicated to prostate cancer research, a subject that I personally and unfortunately have had to deal with after having my prostate removed on my birthday exactly one year ago from today. In the past year I have recovered nicely from the surgery, learned that my cancer had spread beyond my prostate, endured two months of daily radiation treatments amidst a pandemic but am feeling well today. I am hopeful for good news at my next appointment in July.)
2002 DAV #7 Craig Biggio (These cards spreading awareness of the Disabled American Veterans were distributed at ballparks as part of the DAV at the Ballpark program. Each card carries the DAV message of hope and honor.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Henry "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron was one of the most elite baseball players of all-time. Hank's MLB resume featured 21 All-Star selections, four Home Run titles, four RBI titles, two Batting Championships, three Gold Glove Awards, a NL MVP Award and a World Championship before adding a Hall of Fame induction. His consistency led him to hold many all-time offensive batting records at the time of his retirement. To this day I still remember what I was doing on April, 8th, 1974. My parents were out for the evening leaving me, the oldest, in charge of my younger brother, three younger sisters and cousin who lived with us. We were running around in the house, up and down the stairs, throughout all the rooms, basically misbehaving when at one pass through the living room, I noticed a ballgame on the television. I stopped and was transfixed as Hank Aaron faced off against the Dodgers' Al Downing. Vin Scully called it and I witnessed baseball history as Aaron launched the ball over the left field wall breaking Babe Ruth's hallowed home run record. My siblings couldn't understand my excitement but it will be a memory that I will never forget. As of this posting I have 441 unique Beckett recognized cards of Hank. Here are nine from my collection.

1958 Topps #488 Hank Aaron AS
1959 Topps #467 Hank Aaron BT/WS Homer
1959 Topps #561 Hank Aaron AS

1960 Topps #566 Hank Aaron AS
1961 Post #107B Hank Aaron BOX
1965 Topps Embossed #59 Hank Aaron

1970 Topps #462 Hank Aaron AS
2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famers Game Bat #BHA Hank Aaron DP
2013 Topps Factory Set Aaron Chrome Refractors #128 Hank Aaron 54T
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

This is great! Seeing the hard work other people have put into collecting makes me happy to be part of this community and  a collector myself. Can't wait to see what else you have in store! Thank you for taking the time and sharing this with us.

The first time I saw a 1971 Topps card was when one of my fellow boys scouts brought a pack to our meeting. I LOVED the look of them. Nowadays we've all seen the 1971 design, in fact it's this year's Heritage set, but back in 1971 we'd never seen anything like it. It was fresh and new. It was the first year Topps put a photo of the player on the reverse side and the first year Topps included action photos for individual player cards. Although I missed the complete statistics on the back, I still put the entire set together getting the last card, Ernie Banks, a couple years later in a trade from another collector that I went to school with.

1971 Kellogg's #5 Roberto Clemente (Another one pulled from a box of cereal.)
1971 O-Pee-Chee #5 Thurman Munson (The Canadian version of Munson's first solo card.)
1971 Topps #341 Steve Garvey RC (Anyone else remember Steve Garvey as a judge on the Gong Show?)

1971 Topps #400 Hank Aaron
1971 Topps #513 Nolan Ryan
1971 Topps #525 Ernie Banks
(The last card I obtained to complete my '71 set courtesy of a trade with my schoolmate, Maber Cronkite.)

1971 Topps #600 Willie Mays
1971 Topps #630 Roberto Clemente
1971 Topps #709 Rookie Stars/Dusty Baker RC/Don Baylor RC/Tom Paciorek RC SP (Two very successful future managers featured on the same rookie card, a short print at that.)

Little Luis Aparicio was a 9-time All-star, 9-time Gold Glove Award winner and led his league in stolen bases 9 times. He was a Rookie of the Year and a World Champion and the first player from Venezuela to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I currently have 197 different Beckett recognized cards of Luis in my collection. Here are nine of them.

1957 Topps #7 Luis Aparicio
1958 Topps #85A Luis Aparicio
1959 Topps #560 Luis Aparicio AS

1960 Topps #240 Luis Aparicio
1964 Topps #540 Luis Aparicio
1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs #2 Luis Aparicio

2001 Upper Deck 1971 All-Star Game Salute #ASLA Luis Aparicio Jsy
2005 SP Legendary Cuts Lasting Legends Material #LA Luis Aparicio Jsy
2015 Topps Tribute Purple #94 Luis Aparicio

I have always loved animals. My favorite snack when I was a preschooler in the early '60s was Animal Crackers. The first thing I ever collected were little plastic figurines of animals. If I was a good boy, and I usually was, my Mom would take me to Grants or Freeses in downtown Bangor and I could pick out a new animal for my collection. The more exotic the better. I must have had three or four dozen of them.

I had a slew of pets growing up, hamsters, turtles, newts, tropical fish, a couple dogs, numerous cats and a rabbit. When I was a teenager, we moved to a farm where we had goats, cows, horses, a donkey, a pig and chickens. These days I just have two Golden Retrievers pictured here in a very rare docile moment, probably because I have a camera in one hand and a banana in the other. That's Loki on the left and Toby on the right.

I'm combining my love of animals with my love of baseball for today's post. Here are nine baseball cards from my collection that also feature an animal.

1959 Fleer Ted Williams #54 Ted Hooks Big One (The self proclaimed "Greatest Hitter of All-Time" was also a pretty good fisherman. So good that in 2000 he was inducted into the International Game Fish Association Hall of Fame. Here he's posing with a 1,235 pound black marlin that he reeled in.)
1984 Fleer #182 Glenn Hubbard (Forget the Phillie Phanatic in the background. How many cards have you seen featuring a player with an eight-foot boa constrictor draped around his neck?)
1990 Broder #NNO Ryne Sandberg (I got this card from the only trade I ever made on Zistle. Ryno with a Rhino!)

1991 Pacific Ryan Texas Express I #108 Nolan Ryan (Ryan was just as comfortable on a horse as he was on the mound. A successful cattle rancher, he even produces his own beef, Nolan Ryan’s All Natural Beef.)
1991 Studio #216 Steve Lake (Steve's career literally went to the birds. After he retired, he and his wife maintained 40 breeding pairs of large parrots. On this card he is posing with his pet cockatoo.)
1993 Milk Bone Super Stars #12 Cal Ripken (This card pulled from a specially marked package of Milk Bone Flavor Snacks and Dog Treats features Cal Ripken Jr. with his wife's 100 pound female Akita presented to her as a gift along with a bottle of champagne, hence the dog's name.)

1993 Triple Play #261 Jay Bell (Here's Jay participating in a cow milking contest at the ballpark.)
1997 Upper Deck Shimano #6 Tony Gwynn (Mr. Gwynn was an avid bass fisherman and on this card produced by Upper Deck in conjunction with Shimano, he's showing off his catch. Shimano is a large manufacturer of fishing, bicycling, and rowing equipment.)
2016 Leaf Babe Ruth Collection #29 Babe Ruth (This picture taken in 1928 shows Ruth with his manager, Miller Huggins. Well, not actually although they do sort of look the same. This is Mike the Chimpanzee from the St. Louis Zoological Park. Apparently the Bambino was also an animal lover.)

Love the pic of your dogs! Are they siblings?
[Image: u0vgF6d.jpg]
Collecting Detroit Tigers, HOFers, Nolan Ryan, Will Clark and Juan Soto

**If you are not able use one penny sleeve per card when shipping your trades do not bother sending me any trade offers.**

Awesome Ryno!! I gotta get one of those for my PC of him. Also, did not know that about Gwynn, as an avid Bass fisherman myself I might need to start a pc of him now lol
2005 Zenith Z-Jerseys Prime: 65/77 - 84%
2005 UD Reflections Cut From the Same Cloth Patch: 19/39 - 49%
Allen and Ginter Non Sport Minis All Years: 1217/1481 - 82%
Super Collect: Hunter Pence & Ryne Sandberg
Rob024420_Cards on Instagram

mgruber2 Wrote:Love the pic of your dogs! Are they siblings?
Yes. Two out of a litter of 13, 12 males and one female. They will be eight years-old in August.

Vladimir Guerrero scared the hell out of me when he came to bat against the Red Sox. He would swing at anything and get a hit. I loved his old school, no batting gloves approach at the plate and in the field he had a cannon for an arm. A nine-time All-star and a MVP, I was happy to see him go into the Hall of Fame. His son, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is a highly touted phenom for the Blue Jays but despite all the hype, he has a long way to go to live up to his father's accomplishments. A current member of my 1000 Card Club, I have 1669 different Beckett recognized cards of Vlady. Here are nine from my collection including some parallels, an auto and a bunch of game-used pieces.

1998 Pinnacle Artist's Proofs #PP55 Vladimir Guerrero
1999 Pacific Omega Copper #145 Vladimir Guerrero
2001 Fleer Platinum Lumberjacks #13 Vladimir Guerrero

2001 Studio Diamond Collection #DC1 Vladimir Guerrero
2003 Bowman Heritage Diamond Cuts Red Relics #VG Vladimir Guererro Bat
2003 Donruss Signature Autographs #54 Vladimir Guerrero

2003 Fleer Authentix Game Bat #VG Vladimir Guerrero
2003 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Blue Materials #109 Vladimir Guerrero Jsy
2006 Topps Turkey Red Relics #VG Vladimir Guerrero Jsy D