`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Astros Debacle

Astros Debacle
MLB slams Astros with year long suspensions for manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow, forfeiture of their first and second round draft picks for the next two years plus a 5 million dollar fine for sign stealing. The Astros then fired Hinch and Luhnow.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sign-stealing-penalty

Do you think this taints the player's careers? Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Springer and company knew what pitch was coming. Cheating right?

Another decade. Another scandal. What do you think?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: Astros Debacle
I think they are just the ones who were caught. No professional team is completely clear of things like this.

(01-13-2020, 03:41 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I think they are just the ones who were caught. No professional team is completely clear of things like this.
Exactly.

It's like college football ... they all cheat.

But do you think the Astros players will or should receive criticism for cheating? If a player took PEDs, that's cheating and many think that compromises their statistics and they no longer become Hall worthy.

What about these guys? Cheating is cheating. Will there be fallout when Altuve's career is done and he is eligible for the Hall? He's one of the best hitters over the past decade, six time All-Star, three time batting champion, four time Silver Slugger, won an MVP and a World Championship and is building a Hall of Fame resume. Does it matter how many times he knew what pitch was coming?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I am kinda glad they hit them hard..maybe other will think twice..but they will come up with new ways of cheating..been around a long time..everyone wants an edge..

(01-13-2020, 04:18 PM)zeprock Wrote: But do you think the Astros players will or should receive criticism for cheating? If a player took PEDs, that's cheating and many think that compromises their statistics and they no longer become Hall worthy.

What about these guys? Cheating is cheating. Will there be fallout when Altuve's career is done and he is eligible for the Hall? He's one of the best hitters over the past decade, six time All-Star, three time batting champion, four time Silver Slugger, won an MVP and a World Championship and is building a Hall of Fame resume. Does it matter how many times he knew what pitch was coming?
IMO there should be no fallout on the players. Managers are in charge on the field, GMs are in charge off the field, and players are just employees.

If an entire team took PEDs than I would take the same approach, versus one player knowingly cheating while the others were straight up.

MLB already created the solution for this:

I'm interested in seeing what they do with Alex Cora.

Wow, that's one hell of a Punishment. If i remember a while back, the Blue Jays were accused of stealing signs but nothing was proved.

(01-13-2020, 04:18 PM)zeprock Wrote: But do you think the Astros players will or should receive criticism for cheating? If a player took PEDs, that's cheating and many think that compromises their statistics and they no longer become Hall worthy.
I guess it's all up to how these players perform the next few seasons without the edge of sign stealing. If Altuve starts hitting .250 for the next 2 season, then I guess we'll see how 'Hall Worthy" he is after retirement.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.