`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Astros Debacle

RE: Astros Debacle
(01-18-2020, 06:32 PM)jbissell Wrote: I definitely agree with Doc's sentiment.
Same. I don't think it was too harsh.

He's right about a lot of it. $5 million fine is a joke.

The MLB boxed themselves into a corner now, though. They can't punish any players because they gave them all immunity for information. Now it turns out that the fans now want the players punished.

...sooooo, that tells me there are going to be fewer people at ball parks and fewer people watching on TV until this thing blows over (which won't be any time soon).
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel
Photo 
(01-18-2020, 07:24 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: I put this right up there with PED users.
This is definitely worse then PED's. PED's the batter may be faster and stronger, but when you know for sure what pitch is coming that trumps the strongest batter or the fastest reflex. The pitcher is beaten even before he throws the pitch.

This is a scandal but I don't think for a minute it will be the end of baseball. I have a quote from Field of Dreams on my website.

"The one constant through all the years... has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...This game, is a part of our past...It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again."

Eventually baseball will flourish again. There will always be a savior be it Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., Derek Jeter, Mike Trout, Pete Alonso. Someone special to keep fans interested and coming back to the ballpark.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-20-2020, 08:32 AM)zeprock Wrote: This is a scandal but I don't think for a minute it will be the end of baseball. I have a quote from Field of Dreams on my website.

"The one constant through all the years... has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time...This game, is a part of our past...It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again."

Eventually baseball will flourish again. There will always be a savior be it Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., Derek Jeter, Mike Trout, Pete Alonso. Someone special to keep fans interested and coming back to the ballpark.
Same cheating...different era..different tools..cheating has been around forever,,I think this is a waking up for baseball to be more aware of the tech devices that can give an advantage..but an advantage is what every player and team looks for..that edge.that little thing that helps you get a W. PEDs is still an issue..my son played minor league for 2 years and if you think they are not trying to get an advantage anywa they can to get the next level..your need to rethink your position..everyone wants a shot at the prize and sometimes it clouds our judgement...just a thought ..not a sermon.don't hit me too hurt for my thoughts..

(01-24-2020, 05:18 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Same cheating...different era..different tools..cheating has been around forever,,I think this is a waking up for baseball to be more aware of the tech devices that can give an advantage..but an advantage is what every player and team looks for..that edge.that little thing that helps you get a W. PEDs is still an issue..my son played minor league for 2 years and if you think they are not trying to get an advantage anywa they can to get the next level..your need to rethink your position..everyone wants a shot at the prize and sometimes it clouds our judgement...just a thought ..not a sermon.don't hit me too hurt for my thoughts..
Nothing you stated here can be used to slam you ... all true facts. There has always been cheating, which doesn't make it right, nor should it be condoned.
The only way to stop people from cheating is to make the penalty so punitive that the prospective cheater has to really think twice about risking it all. That seems to be MLB's stance on PED usage. It should be the same level of harsh penalty or more. There are many more negative implications in the cheat perpetrated by the Astros team than any single player cheating by the individual using PEDs. That's why the punishment needs to be as horrible as I've described.
My punishment basically punishes the team and owners more than any individual player, while at the same time, it systematically dismantles the team. Stripping of the Pennant and the Trophy is only symbolic, but necessary, IMO.
A $500 million fine vs $5 million? Too harsh? Nah, they probably made half that amount of money in WS t-shirt sales.
Letting each AL team pick a player of their choice from the Astro's active, protected roster is restitution for being a victim to the Astros crime.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I really think this is going to keep Altuve out of the HOF. Possibly Bregman too if he continues at his current pace.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(01-25-2020, 02:03 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: I really think this is going to keep Altuve out of the HOF. Possibly Bregman too if he continues at his current pace.
This was my point in my original post. The effect on the individual Astros players. As far as Doc's idea of all teams picking a player from the Astros' roster, can the Red Sox go first?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-26-2020, 11:31 AM)zeprock Wrote: This was my point in my original post. The effect on the individual Astros players. As far as Doc's idea of all teams picking a player from the Astros' roster, can the Red Sox go first?
Sorry, according to my rules of punishment The Dodgers are first in line ... if The Commissioner is listening Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Why would the Red Sox get to go at all? They might still be punished because of this whole thing.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I think the next couple of years will be the deciding factors for these players. If they perform at or above the 2017-2019 levels then it will have minimal impact. My guess is the 2020 season might be a roller coaster ride for them just because of the psychological aspect of needing to preform at a certain level and anxiety my get the best of them at times...PLUS sad to say they have to guess between a good pitch coming or bailing out of the box.