`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There aren't too many Yankee Legends left

There aren't too many Yankee Legends left
The passing of Don Larsen is a sad reminder that very few of the legendary Yankees of the 50s are still around. During the 50's, they played in 8 championship games and won 6 rings. Legends all!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: There aren't too many Yankee Legends left
One of my favorite Baseball books is "All of my Octobers" by Mantle detailing the run of world series appearances he had in his career. It makes even a die hard Yankee hater appreciate the accomplishment (I like Kerry hail from Minnesota where we have a team that holds a record for consecutive playoff loses ...mostly to the Yankees)

I'm surprised Whitey Ford has lived as long as he has considering his legendary alcohol infused escapes. He's 94. Bobby Richardson and Tony Kubek, both in their 80s are still around but you are correct in most of the bigger names have gone to play in the afterlife.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-05-2020, 09:02 AM)zeprock Wrote: I'm surprised Whitey Ford has lived as long as he has considering his legendary alcohol infused escapes. He's 94. Bobby Richardson and Tony Kubek, both in their 80s are still around but you are correct in most of the bigger names have gone to play in the afterlife.
Yeah, i guess those are the 3 left, and like you, surprised that The Chairman is still going strong after hanging with Billy & Mickey all those years.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Other 1950s Yankees still alive include Bobby Shantz, Eddie Robinson (turning 100 this year), and Bobby Brown.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-07-2020, 01:25 PM)djohn Wrote: Other 1950s Yankees still alive include Bobby Shantz, Eddie Robinson (turning 100 this year), and Bobby Brown.
Dr. Bobby Brown is still kickin'? Awesome. For some reason, I thought he died years and years ago. So, there are 6. Anyone know any others that are still around?