`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What are the top 5 - 10 brands to purchase?

My 11-year-old son wants to start collecting baseball cards with me

I know that this could be one of the coolest ways we could continue to enjoy sharing a hobby together for my lifetime

Let me tell you my history with baseball cards - When I was in HS I bought and sold cards for over 4 years then I sold all of my cards for just under $10,000.00 when I was in 10th grade - That started Bob's Sports Cards in Lancaster, PA

I was making an average of $300-$800 a week by doing the flea market circuit around Lancaster

You would not believe the number of rookie cards that I have thrown away because I had more than 9 of them that filled a page in my back up books That were not in those hard thick plastic cases that were in my display cases

I sold thousands of the 1960s-70s & early 80's

Sold 100's of Micky Mantle - Aaron - Yaz - Clemente - You name the player I had several from all the years

I would imagen my collection would be worth 100,000.'s to a MILLION if I still had them

Knowing my history

I know the best way to start collecting again is to buy cases

Then top rookie cards from all brands - or at least I think that's the way to start collecting again and having fun with my son

Can anyone suggest any way to start collecting again by selecting the right brands and specifics types within the brands?

My first step was to sign up for this Beckett app

[ In my day we would buy the paper monthly beckets price magazine]

I can afford to buy boxes or even cases

Please advise

What are the top companies to buy from and any to stay away from?

Thank You

Jerry

RE: What are the top 5 - 10 brands to purchase?
Can you narrow down your question by answering this:

Are you going to collect full sets, teams, players, prospects or RCs? Your answer will greatly determine the responses you get, if any.

I like Bowman and Walmart Holiday, I may just concentrate on those next year.

What kerryandbeth said is a good start. I collect mostly rookies of prospects and rookies too. My favorite are Bowman, Bowman Chrome and Bowman Chrome Draft. I sell when I need to to me LCS and to a friend who gets most of my base cards in Topps. I also collect the Topps Flagship and that might be a really less expensive way for your son and you to start. For better cards in Flagship I would collect either Series 2 or Update. This coming year 2020 is going to have a lot of rookies who were called up at the end of the year they didn't put in Update such as Yordan Alvarez and Bo Bichette.

My top 5 brands are as follows:

5. Bowman
4. Topps Update
3. Bowman Draft
2. Bowman Chrome
1. Topps Chrome

I chose those because I collect for both the fun of it and for the possibility of getting valuable cards that tend to hold their values better than other brands.

Overall, I would recommend any Topps or Bowman product. I do have mixed feelings on Allen and Ginter though due to all of the non baseball stuff in that set.

(12-03-2019, 03:34 PM)jbissell Wrote: My top 5 brands are as follows:

5. Bowman
4. Topps Update
3. Bowman Draft
2. Bowman Chrome
1. Topps Chrome
I have 2 Super Jumbo Boxes of 2019 Bowman Draft coming this week...super excited about it. Last year I got the prized Nolan Gorman auto that I traded for Mike Schmidt and Juan Soto. Come on, Rutschman!

Id call that a pretty darn good trade! Gorman could be a real good one, but you traded and obtained a HOF player and an established superstar!

Prospecting is fun!

(12-02-2019, 10:39 AM)jerryliam Wrote: What are the top companies to buy from and any to stay away from?
You get to choose between licensed Topps brands or unlicensed Panini brands.

(12-02-2019, 10:39 AM)jerryliam Wrote: What are the top 5 - 10 brands to purchase?
Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome seems popular. Personally I'm partial to Finest. Really depends on your answer to kerryandbeth.

So don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you brought in and sent out a lot of product. It feels more like you were flipping than collecting. I PC the Yankees in baseball and Stephen Curry and UNC players in basketball. Those never leave my collection.

I'm in agreement with Bowman and Topps. Avoid Panini. That was a big lesson for me after getting back into the hobby this past summer.

In terms of what I bought licensed this year: Topps Chrome, Topps Finest, Topps Update, Bowman Chrome.

I like Topps Update. It doesn't happen every year but some of the best rookie cards come from that product. Just check 2011.