`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhibit Cards Question

Exhibit Cards Question
I came across a couple exhibit cards of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. I suspect them as reprints, and I believe I obtained them in a box of old baseball cards about 7 years ago. For years, I didnt know these were rare, and in some cases valuable. I was recently asked about them and decided to research these, and I saw an article stating that there were no pre-war reprints of Exhibit cards known of. I cant believe these are genuine, but could you possibly take a look at the attached pics of these cards and maybe help me identify whether these are reprints or not? Again, I think they are reprints, there is no way I could be so lucky to come across something like this by accident.

I believe, from research, that the Babe Ruth is a 1921 Exhibit, probable reprint, and the Gehrig is a 1925.

I want to submit these for authentication to Beckett or PSA, but since I am so unsure, I dont want to do that and pay their prices for them to possibly come back as reprints.

What do you think?

RE: Exhibit Cards Question
When I compare your Babe Ruth photo with the graded/slabbed examples on Google, your photo is much darker background, the lettering appears thicker and it looks like someone went to a lot of trouble aging yours.

The same goes for the Lou Gehrig...much darker and a lot of 'staining for age' in my opinion. Plus, the Gehrig is supposed to be made with rounded corners, and yours look like they were scuffed to get rid of sharp corners.

Anybody else have a different synopsis?

I was thinking the Ruth lettering looks too crisp and clean compared to the rest of the card. Almost as if it were added after the card was artificially aged.

Fake AF ... the printing looks like it was done yesterday at Kinko's.