`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on the collecting value of pitchers

RE: Opinions on the collecting value of pitchers
Speaking solely on people who try to get into collecting/prospecting a pitcher early, I think it's a bad idea. Too many things could go wrong in a pitcher's career. I try to get the most bang for my buck with anything and feel like it's better to collect a pitcher after his career is over rather than buy into current hype and overinflated prices.

I've been considering starting collecting again but don't know a focus yet. One little project I've heard about that seemed like a fun idea would be to get a card of each pitcher that has thrown a no hitter.

I pulled a Casey Mize auto out of my only blaster of Bowman this year, so as a Tigers fan this was a massive PC hit.

Certainly rooting for him to make it big, LOL

(10-25-2019, 08:42 AM)garrisc Wrote: In the past I have thought about collecting pitchers but eventually I think of Brien Taylor and the thought vanishes. Kerry Wood has a place in my collection but not much value in dollars.
Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are great examples, just to put some names up there .....
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I guess I lucked out. I started collecting Verlander when he first came up with the Tigers. Always liked how he pitched. Amassed a pretty decent PC of him over the years and still collect him to this day (even his Astros cards).

But yeah, collecting pitchers is a gamble. I never went all in on others like I did with JV, but I did end up with some pretty worthless PC's of other pitchers.

I'm more of a team collector than a player collector so I collect any Redsox pitcher but do collect Sean newcomb. I do think of starting/pick up new side pcs but really don't as I did trade for a Rick honeycutt auto could lead to a side pc of pitchers who won a cy young but more just pick up for players that I'm familiar with. As always can use as future trade bait.
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

There are tons of examples of prospect pitchers that just never end up living up to the hype expected from them. Im staying away from pitchers as a PC..... but that is just me.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s