`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1993, 1994 boxes

1993, 1994 boxes
hey all, quick question. I was looking at getting some 94 topps stadium clubs and 94 fleer flair, I saw some through amazon. they claim to be unopened boxes, but they're still in the low to mid $20 a box.

where those years so bad that the value never went up after 30 years?

RE: 1993, 1994 boxes
The issue with those years, depending on where they've been stored all this time, is that the cards can be all stuck together into a solid brick. You may open them and not be able to peel them apart.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(09-19-2019, 03:07 PM)zeprock Wrote: The issue with those years, depending on where they've been stored all this time, is that the cards can be all stuck together into a solid brick. You may open them and not be able to peel them apart.
Sooooo True. Had tons of Stadium cards and they were already sticking after a year lol. As for the Flair, i think those were a lot better cards that didn't stick for me so i would go for the Flair cards plus they were really nice looking cards that had a great shine to them.

Thanks. I was surprised to see how cheap they are. I ordered one box to try them.

I agree with Simpleton. I don't think you'll have any trouble ( or very little ) with the flair. Stadium club is a different story, they'll stick.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

It's not just the bricking that causes them to be so cheap, it's the original overproduction of cards during that time. Most box prices from the late 80s through early 90s have dropped in value significantly. There are some exceptions like 89 Upper Deck, 93 SP, 92 Bowman, etc, however the vast majority cost less now than when they were brand new.
That being said, there is a growing collector base who is buying these "junk era" wax boxes up and opening them, some for fun and others to chase high grade stars and rookies. This new collector base has helped increase the value on some boxes from that era, but most are still easy to find for $5-$10. Some of the nicer brands like Flair, or ones from key rookie years (i.e. 93 boxes with potential Jeter RCs) have seen the most increase in value, but even boxes of 1986 Topps have doubled in value over the past few years as people start chasing high grade cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I've alway loved those Fleer Flairs. At the time they were almost 100 bucks which to me was really expensive in the early 90s. Crazy 30 years later a 100 bucks is getting to be the cheap end of cards.
Yeah John. Its interesting to see how many boxes are still very cheap even 30+ years later.

I have a set of 1998 Collector's Choice that is absolutely bricked up. Maddening to go through the cards. Someone recently wanted a couple of cards out of the set, so I decided to break the set, and it took forever to locate the cards for the trade.

I have factory sets of 1994 and 1995 Collectors Choice that I only opened to pull out the Silver & Gold Signature cards. After 24 years I imagine they are solidified together. I did sleeve the A-Rod and MJ cards, though.

I just opened a box of 1995 Zenith and every card was ruined, even the inserts...Sad
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars