`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA Submission Results Trout and Goldschmidt

RE: PSA Submission Results Trout and Goldschmidt
(09-11-2019, 09:24 AM)jbissell Wrote: Awesome results on those cards! Plus, I love the Beavis and Butthead card at the end of your sig line!
Haha thanks! Those sig lines were pretty popular in the heyday of Beckett.com. Pretty quiet around here these days.

I know it's open for debate and has been discussed before ... but not recently ...
So, why did you go PSA over Beckett grading?
Did any of the following have an effect on your choice?
Was it cost, turn around time, case preference, higher / lower grade potential, higher / lower selling price?
Just curious
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I went with PSA for 2 reasons.

1. I like the thinner cases better. So, case preference.

2. My LCS here in Corpus Christi does bulk submissions to PSA frequently. I figured with him sending in cards all the time I was more likely to get higher grades. I have no idea if there is any validity to this theory at all, but what I do know is in most businesses if you spend $1,000,000 you get treated different/better than the guy that spends $100. I also like that PSA doesn't do half grades. So I felt my chances for 10's would be better.

All the other items were non-factors. The cards were sitting in my boxes for years, so if it was 30 day or 45 or 120 day turn around it didn't really matter. I didn't even compare cost because it was a bulk submission that I wasn't in charge of and I trust my LCS guy. As far as selling price, these are going back in my PC box so I wasn't really worried about sell potential at this point.

(09-12-2019, 08:30 AM)rob024420 Wrote: I went with PSA for 2 reasons.

1. I like the thinner cases better. So, case preference.

2. My LCS here in Corpus Christi does bulk submissions to PSA frequently. I figured with him sending in cards all the time I was more likely to get higher grades. I have no idea if there is any validity to this theory at all, but what I do know is in most businesses if you spend $1,000,000 you get treated different/better than the guy that spends $100. I also like that PSA doesn't do half grades. So I felt my chances for 10's would be better.

All the other items were non-factors. The cards were sitting in my boxes for years, so if it was 30 day or 45 or 120 day turn around it didn't really matter. I didn't even compare cost because it was a bulk submission that I wasn't in charge of and I trust my LCS guy. As far as selling price, these are going back in my PC box so I wasn't really worried about sell potential at this point.
Awesome answer! Thanks for taking the time to explain and for letting me pick your brain.
I always wondered why people choose one over the other ... I remember some having preference for the thicker bulkier BVG case over the PSA case, but space is always precious in a collection. So I can see that thinner could be better. Also, having the bulk grading is a good option.
Furthermore, thanks for pointing it out, but all these years I never really noticed that PSA doesn't do half grades, although I own many ... but that being said, I now think it's very ironic that Beckett grades in half grades, but their own OPG doesn't price out the half grade when entering your cards. In order for the OPG to tally a price, you have to choose either the whole grade higher or lower. (Unless that recently changed)
Thanks again Rob!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.