`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Personal gripe with trading sometimes

Personal gripe with trading sometimes
When I trade, especially here on beckett, I do not really care what I am getting from you, and what you are getting from me. As long as we agree that it's even value, and we are both happy with it, I don't see what the problem is.
The problem that I have with trading is when somebody requests ~100 cards worth $100+ dollars of base, rookie cards, and parallels/inserts, and then decides they don't want to trade when I ask for say, 10 auto'd cards with the trade being damn near equal, if not exactly equal. I mean, come on! If you don't have anything marked for trade besides SP, Autos, and MEM, but you come requesting 100 base cards and only want to trade for base, how am I supposed to trade with you? You are wasting both of our times, and my effort by sending that trade in the first place.

Basically, I don't see the problem in asking for a handful of autos or mem cards when you request a sizeable amount of base, as long as the trade is even. If you do have a problem with this, then why bother trading in the first place, let alone request base cards?

/rant over
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734

RE: Personal gripe with trading sometimes
I hear you.

I've been on both sides of it ... trading base in volume for hits, and trading hits for base in volume.

I agree 100 percent - if both sides are happy it's a good trade.

The trick is just developing relationships with a few traders you can work with, and being OK if someone says no.

You just move on to the next one!

Speaking of which, I still have the two Hayden Hurst rookie jersey cards from 2018 Donruss if you are interested.

PM me, thanks!

RJ

(09-03-2019, 12:37 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I hear you.

I've been on both sides of it ... trading base in volume for hits, and trading hits for base in volume.

I agree 100 percent - if both sides are happy it's a good trade.

The trick is just developing relationships with a few traders you can work with, and being OK if someone says no.

You just move on to the next one!

Speaking of which, I still have the two Hayden Hurst rookie jersey cards from 2018 Donruss if you are interested.

PM me, thanks!

RJ
Don't want to get off topic, but unless you got more, I should have requested everything that I needed form you that I didn't already have.
I'm finishing up a few other trades, so if you want to send me another one, and I can respond this weekend when I have time, that would be awesome.
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734

The key is what both of you have already stated: as long as both sides are happy.

Many times I have traded away autos for base cards/inserts/parallels to complete a set, but rarely have I come across someone willing to give up autos when they request base cards/inserts/parallels. One trader in particular drives me crazy as he starts a trade asking for my high value cards, and when I find high value cards from him in return, he responds by saying "I am not willing to give up those cards at this time". Then why have them available for trade?!

Here is my take: autos and mems can go up or down in value at any time depending on how that player is doing, and some drops can be substantial. But, base cards/inserts/parallels that complete a set rarely change in value, and even if they do, the value is already small so big deal if they drop a quarter each!

So, take a deep breath, find someone willing to do what you want, and ignore those other traders that act like their stuff is buried treasure never to make an appearance. LOL

P.S. Some trade offers are just outright hilarious! One time a guy asked for over $70 in cards from me, but when I looked at his ORG there were only players from his favorite team, which were not at all what I collect. Then when I messaged him that we most likely cannot make a trade, he answered that he has other PC players from his team he is willing to give up to make a trade!! I about fell over laughing...

Because you didn't specify in your original post that you'd be looking for just autos and memorabilia cards in return.

Also, yeah the trade being nearly even, when you made a post saying you'd trade base at half book value.

I would have never sent the offer (which was much more work on my end adding 96 cards than the ten cards you added) had I known you were asking for only autos or memorabilia.

If you see 96 base cards in my org that you'd be willing to trade me 10 autos for, let's get the deal moving!

And lastly, I have just under 1,000 cards listed with only 25ish being autos/mems/SPs. So it would have actually been MORE of a struggle to find the autos and mems (unless you just filtered them out) than to look for base/RCs/inserts.

If you wanna call me out, use my name, so that the dozens of people on this site who know me personally can get a chuckle out of it.

Have a blessed day.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

(09-04-2019, 01:17 PM)foleylion08 Wrote: Because you didn't specify in your original post that you'd be looking for just autos and memorabilia cards in return.

Also, yeah the trade being nearly even, when you made a post saying you'd trade base at half book value.

I would have never sent the offer (which was much more work on my end adding 96 cards than the ten cards you added) had I known you were asking for only autos or memorabilia.

If you see 96 base cards in my org that you'd be willing to trade me 10 autos for, let's get the deal moving!

And lastly, I have just under 1,000 cards listed with only 25ish being autos/mems/SPs. So it would have actually been MORE of a struggle to find the autos and mems (unless you just filtered them out) than to look for base/RCs/inserts.

If you wanna call me out, use my name, so that the dozens of people on this site who know me personally can get a chuckle out of it.

Have a blessed day.
Is it just me, or does it appear that you are not the one he was referring to??!
(Too many discrepancies in posts)

It would be surprising if it isn't considering this post came just a short while after I cancelled a trade with him that almost perfectly fits the mold of his complaint.

And if it isn't me, isn't an indictment on him if he's wanting autos for base from more than one trader?
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

I'm glad I didn't send an offer then. I agree with you foley that he should have stated that up front. I can understand his point also, but if you are up front right away then there shouldn't be any problems.

I agree with you completely about the trades being even, then who cares what the cards are? But that is just my opinion. Not everyone shares it. That's why i tend to enjoy developing relationships with a few good traders, as we can hammer out deals that other people would just scoff at. I'm more in it for what i need than an actual value. But everyone has a different way of valuing.Values on beckett are ridiculous anyways lol.

Exactly...to each his/her own, but many times I have either given away for free some base/inserts/parallels worth less than $3, and yet I also request the ones I need by offering anything in return.

Why? Because this is a hobby, intended to be fun, relaxing yet exciting, giving anticipation when opening a pack or box of cards, while at the same time be willing to share what you do not need. If I was in it for the money then I would be depressed and frustrated!