`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some quick thoughts about 2011 ... The Trout are Jumping, AGAIN!

Some quick thoughts about 2011 ... The Trout are Jumping, AGAIN!
I started back into cards 9+ years ago.
As I mentioned in previous posts, I usually picked up a pack or 2 during baseball spring training as a throwback to my old collecting days and perchance nab a few Yankees in the process. One day in Target, seeing Heritage for the first time, I happened to pick up a pack of that 62 throwback design and I was rewarded with an awesome hit. My lucky Brooks Robinson red auto pull set me up for my card collecting resurgence. At the time I was extremely ignorant about the changes to the industry and trends and etc ... and I was flying by the seat of my pants. This was also prior to me discovering this very useful forum and all the helpful contributors therein.

Anyway, back when I was buying cards in 2011, I was picking up way too much of Flagship because of that online contest and I unwittingly lost some good cards in trades of contest cards for old Topps cards ignorantly thinking they were gonna be pristine gem mint from the Topps vault ... I was in for a rude awakening when these uncollectible cards showed up ... some even looked like cards that I put in my bicycle spokes decades ago ... but I digress.

Just by total dumb and misguided luck, I started collecting Anthony Rizzo RC cards only because my nephews have the same last name and I figured that eventually, they'd inherit my card collection. Buying up 2011 Update packs for Rizzo cards and contest codes brought me a whole load of other rookies that I really didn't know. In fact back then, I thought Mark Trumbo was Mike Trout and viceversa ( both rookies, both Angels, both MT) anyway, my disappointment was in only amassing about a dozen Rizzo RCs but having sooooo many multiple other RCs like Trumbo or was it Trout?
Turns out I was really lucky to have a butt load of Trout US175 when all was said and done. Like Bob Ross was quoted as saying "a happy little accident"

So, the moral of the story, at least in retrospect regarding my collecting habits / strategies... dumb luck has always been better than my own targeted purchasing of players/prospects. i.e. Casey Kelly, Arismendy Alcantara to name a few of my failed attempts. I'm probably the countries foremost (only) Casey Kelly collector, BTW. Smile yay me :/

[Image: IMG-1221.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Some quick thoughts about 2011
Good lord, that's quite a haul, Doc!

(03-13-2020, 10:57 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Good lord, that's quite a haul, Doc!
Thanks ... dumb luck, as I mentioned. It was not due to anything that required any thought or planning (or purchasing or trading or ...)
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It looks like you have a few too many. I think you should sent one to me. Thanks.

I once thought I was really clever and sold a 3-card lot of them on eBay for $27, because, you know, that's his jersey number.

Well played Doc. Well played.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(03-13-2020, 11:44 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I once thought I was really clever and sold a 3-card lot of them on eBay for $27, because, you know, that's his jersey number.
I actually had one more base US175 and traded it for a Brian McCann RC when he became a Yankee and when the cards were both around the $60-$75 range. McCann is no longer on the Yankees and those cards are about as far apart (in terms of value and significance) as they can be.
I know that doesn't make you feel any better about your $27 sale, but let's face it, nobody could have predicted that kind of future for the US175 card. The only thing that really worked in my favor is my trading procrastination and people cancelling trades before I even looked at them. I probably would have traded another 5 if I was not a procrastinator. Sometimes a bad trait can be a benefit?
(03-13-2020, 01:46 PM)zeprock Wrote: Well played Doc. Well played.
Thanks Mark, but the only thing I 'played' well was the online card giveaway ... thanks Topps for making me hunt down those darned Diamond code cards.

I have one of those Trout rcs. It's graded a 10. It's .5 away from a black label. Plus I know that I got it from a blaster because I never bought a jumbo or hobby box until 2019. And i'm sure it sat in my big box of miscellaneous rookie cards until one day I was looking through that box and stumbled on it. I just wish I could afford a few jumbos from back in the day.

(03-13-2020, 03:29 PM)cspen Wrote: I have one of those Trout rcs. It's graded a 10. It's .5 away from a black label. Plus I know that I got it from a blaster because I never bought a jumbo or hobby box until 2019. And i'm sure it sat in my big box of miscellaneous rookie cards until one day I was looking through that box and stumbled on it. I just wish I could afford a few jumbos from back in the day.
I was primarily buying blasters at Target & Walmart. I was pretty happy getting the Manu-relics that came with them. And the red & blue store specific bonus cards were retail exclusives. Again, pretty fortunate that I had been buying them instead of Hobby boxes because that's where I got these: (not the cognac)
[Image: IMG-2302.jpg]
upload pic

Okay let me wipe the drool off my face!@. Those last 3 are probably worth more individualy than all 20 of the base but if you grade those 20 and get 9.5-10 gold mine! That is until there isn't a season to see his accomplishments. Amazing collecting!!