Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preseason: Good, bad, or ugly?
08-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Preseason: Good, bad, or ugly?
I was so disappointed last night. Tuned into game pass for the free trial to watch the starters play the first half, or so I hoped. Instead, not a single starter played from either team! It was the first time I got to see my team, and it was mostly nobodies. Weeks one and two I was ecstatic just to see football, but I really wanted to see some "real" football. 5 players were lost to injuries in the Packers/Raiders game.

So, preseason has given rise to stars who get their chance to make the roster. Some big names made it only because of the preseason. So, should the NFL just make the preseason a developmental period where only the guys trying to make the team play? In essence, most teams this year have taken that approach anyways by not playing their starters at all.

Or, do you believe that the quality of football should demand the starters play in the preseason so that week one isn't just a mish mash of off timing, flags, and garbage play?

Just curious what others think. The dreaded injuries are definitely scary to think about.

Packers:Rodgers/ Nelson combo cards
SB MVPs
Prizm Patented Penmanship autos 2016
Burfict Plates and rainbows
John Kuhn
Nick Collins
Chasers:
A. Rodgers Chrome blue 2006
A. Rodgers Playoff 2016 parallels
https://sportscardalbum.com/u/savagenate
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2019, 10:37 AM
RE: Preseason: Good, bad, or ugly?
The same problem the NFL has with the Pro Bowl, it has with the preseason ... it's not a game you can play at half speed or avoid injuries.

So, you're the Panthers, Cam Newton sprains his ankle last night - at least that's what's reported.

Now they're saying hopefully he starts Week 1. But that's "hopefully" ...

I'm a Lions fan, as you know, LOL. Stafford hasn't played yet.

Based on the Newton injury I say hell no Stafford shouldn't play a down in preseason.

Then again, he's got a new offensive coordinator (again), new teammates at the skill positions and on the O-line, so part of me would love to have him play a half or whatever to run some of the base plays and packages.

I don't know, man ... damned if you do, damned if you don't.
08-23-2019, 10:44 AM
I think they should go to 2 preseason games, have all prospects and backups play game 1 and 3/4 of game 2, and have the regular play the first quarter of the second game only.
And no keep the regular season at 16 games.
08-24-2019, 08:47 AM
I laugh whenever people say there should not be preseason games because the possibility of injuries. What does injuries have to do with it?! A player can get hurt and end his season in Week 1. Or Week 2, and so on. Preseason is needed to work out the kinks.
08-24-2019, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2019 10:47 AM by savagenate.)
(08-23-2019 10:37 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote:  The same problem the NFL has with the Pro Bowl, it has with the preseason ... it's not a game you can play at half speed or avoid injuries.

So, you're the Panthers, Cam Newton sprains his ankle last night - at least that's what's reported.

Now they're saying hopefully he starts Week 1. But that's "hopefully" ...

I'm a Lions fan, as you know, LOL. Stafford hasn't played yet.

Based on the Newton injury I say hell no Stafford shouldn't play a down in preseason.

Then again, he's got a new offensive coordinator (again), new teammates at the skill positions and on the O-line, so part of me would love to have him play a half or whatever to run some of the base plays and packages.

I don't know, man ... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Exactly my thoughts with the packers...new players, new coach, new system, trying to figure out the audible thing that's been all over the news, why do you wait until week one against your arch rival to test it out? Then again, why play your guys before it means anything and lose Rodgers for the year and lose another year. Lol, no good answer!
(08-23-2019 10:44 AM)hckydv7 Wrote:  I think they should go to 2 preseason games, have all prospects and backups play game 1 and 3/4 of game 2, and have the regular play the first quarter of the second game only.
And no keep the regular season at 16 games.

That could work, though it still hurts the developmental guys.
(08-24-2019 08:47 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote:  I laugh whenever people say there should not be preseason games because the possibility of injuries. What does injuries have to do with it?! A player can get hurt and end his season in Week 1. Or Week 2, and so on. Preseason is needed to work out the kinks.

Right! It's a no win it seems lol

SB MVPs
John Kuhn
Nick Collins
Chasers:
08-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Really excited about the injuries to two starters the Lions had in their most recent preseason game.

Pretty awesome, totally worth it.
08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
(08-27-2019 12:12 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote:  Really excited about the injuries to two starters the Lions had in their most recent preseason game.

Pretty awesome, totally worth it.

lol

SB MVPs
John Kuhn
Nick Collins
Chasers:
08-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Two is plenty. If you cant work out the "kinks" with close to six months of practice your team has a bigger issue.
08-30-2019, 03:23 PM
One of the issues you've got is that you've got two sets of players in these games. Solidified starters who are getting rhythm in and reacclimating to game speeds with low stakes. Then you've got backups and fringe/bubble players looking to make a great impression and going 110% to make it in the NFL with the highest stakes. Guys are gonna get hurt when you mix those two motivations together.