Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 Topps Inagural Devil Rays set

1998 Topps Inagural Devil Rays set
Hey all,

Wanted to share a great find over the weekend. Found a sealed factory set for $40 and thought I should bite. I've only been buying factory sealed sets because I've been burned too many times with opened factory sets missing all the good cards.

The 8 random inserts were pretty good too. Pulled a Minted In Cooperstown Tony Gwynn and Hallbound Mike Piazza in addition to 3 Clemente tribute cards.

When I was sorting through the set I noticed dozens of cards that were missing the gold foil on the front and made the Devil Rays logo much less intrusive on the card. I actually like no gold foil but these are probably considered miss prints, not variations.

I was pretty happy with the set overall, although most of the cards were stuck together due to glossy coating, and managed to salvage the entire set. Only a handful had speckling from being stuck to another card.

Now, I need to find the Inagural Diamondbacks set!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

RE: 1998 Topps Inagural Devil Rays set
Congrats! Great pick up! Weird that the foil is so randomly missing throughout. I wonder if all the sets are like that.
No matter, lots of great HOF in there!
I need to find a deal on the Marlins inaugural set. The Piazza RC in there greatly increases that set price.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: 1998 Topps Inagural Devil Rays set
(08-20-2019, 08:14 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Congrats! Great pick up! Weird that the foil is so randomly missing throughout. I wonder if all the sets are like that.
No matter, lots of great HOF in there!
I need to find a deal on the Marlins inaugural set. The Piazza RC in there greatly increases that set price.
I was shocked to discover the book value on the Devil Rays set is $100. The most expensive card is Corey Lidle and Richie Sexson!

Jeter is escalating prices on all 1993 sets and boxes, but he will be the 2nd unanimous HOFer!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars