`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Original or Reprint ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Original
30.00%
3 30.00%
Reprint
70.00%
7 70.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Original Vs Reprint Mickey Mantle card

Original Vs Reprint Mickey Mantle card
Are there any obvious markings or things to look for on this 1959 Topps Mickey Mantle #10 to tell if it's an original or a reprint?
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Most reprints I've came across of this card have a black line on the front right side, but I think this looks pretty good.
I purchased it, not cheap, as an Original but it kind of seems to be in too good of condition.

RE: Original Vs Reprint Mickey Mantle card
I would assume a reprint would be in better condition (?)

You could always submit it to PSA for verification, they will reject it if it's not authentic.

Looks like a fake to me. I have seen a bunch of similar era superstar cards with the exact same rounded corner look to make them look aged. However that is not natural rounding from age, if it was there would be some creasing and fraying around the corners. The ones I have seen are pretty obvious in terms of card stock being wrong too. Take it out of the top loader and feel it and you should be able to tell if you compare it to a known authentic card (commons are good for that check) from that era.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(05-24-2019, 01:06 PM)djohn Wrote: Looks like a fake to me. I have seen a bunch of similar era superstar cards with the exact same rounded corner look to make them look aged. However that is not natural rounding from age, if it was there would be some creasing and fraying around the corners. The ones I have seen are pretty obvious in terms of card stock being wrong too. Take it out of the top loader and feel it and you should be able to tell if you compare it to a known authentic card (commons are good for that check) from that era.
LOL, now that you mention it, there is some highly unusual consistency to the roundness of those corners.

Great call on comparing it to a common from the same era.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it...
[Image: h6wRomT.png]

(05-24-2019, 01:06 PM)djohn Wrote: Looks like a fake to me. I have seen a bunch of similar era superstar cards with the exact same rounded corner look to make them look aged. However that is not natural rounding from age, if it was there would be some creasing and fraying around the corners. The ones I have seen are pretty obvious in terms of card stock being wrong too. Take it out of the top loader and feel it and you should be able to tell if you compare it to a known authentic card (commons are good for that check) from that era.
The corners scream to me reprint. Comparing to a common card is the way to go. Use a magnifying glass, or an app on your phone to look closely at the ink pattern as well.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

The uniformity of the round corners seems unnatural... and the color of his face seems a little off, unless faded or purposely faded to make it look old and worn. I dunno, without seeing it in person, it could just as well be a bad photo of the card in question. Hard to determine with certainty!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.