`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most frustrating sets of all time

The most frustrating sets of all time
I'm going through some old boxes and came across a stack of mixed mini sticker cards from 1988-1990. Topps U.K., Topps/OPC, etc.
Seems that each card has a 'sticker back' listing and there can be a number of various stickers attached to them. So, first I need to evaluate the year and sticker back player (easy since the player's name is clearly listed) but the reverse sticker situation is a nightmare. Most are 2 / half sized stickers, badly printed with badly registered 4 color printing and no names of the players. Perhaps I'm more visually impaired than most, but they're hard to tell who's who. Luckily they have numbers, but even then, it's so tedious. There are 2 to 3 different players per card, with up to 3 different prices per card.
Do you combine the price, or just go by the highest price or peel the stickers off and just have fun Smile ??
They're not valuable cards ... the most are probably Nolan Ryan stickers for a few bucks or so, but mostly range from .05-.75 without getting to specific.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: The most frustrating sets of all time
Hard core player collectors will likely want to collect every sticker back variation. I recently opened a box of 1989 Topps stickers and threw 1/3 of the cards away because of wax stains and spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to figure out who most of the players are. Luckily I have 20/20 vision and can read microscopic numbers!

I wish the database would separate O-Pee-Chee and Topps Sticker Backs. They are definitely two different sets!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

Oh wow. That sounds like quite the quandary.

Reminds me of trying to figure out how to enter multi-player cards into my personal database. Do I list them alphabetically? Do I list them from left to right (or top to bottom)? If there is one HoFer and two scrubs, do I list the HoFer first regardless of anything else?
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(05-19-2019, 11:26 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: Hard core player collectors will likely want to collect every sticker back variation. I recently opened a box of 1989 Topps stickers and threw 1/3 of the cards away because of wax stains and spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to figure out who most of the players are. Luckily I have 20/20 vision and can read microscopic numbers!

I wish the database would separate O-Pee-Chee and Topps Sticker Backs. They are definitely two different sets!
Definitely 2 different sets, some have OPC logo others w/ Topps ... seems different to me!
(05-19-2019, 11:29 AM)hempick Wrote: Oh wow. That sounds like quite the quandary.

Reminds me of trying to figure out how to enter multi-player cards into my personal database. Do I list them alphabetically? Do I list them from left to right (or top to bottom)? If there is one HoFer and two scrubs, do I list the HoFer first regardless of anything else?
Yes, an organizational quandary ... so much so that I'm about to just chuck'em all back into an obscure box to be dealt with (and no doubt to be complained about) at some future date in time.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Those are a real nuisance to deal with. Speaking of nuisance sets, the 1991-1993 Topps Micro sets are a nuisance to me. Try to shuffle through those.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(05-19-2019, 11:29 AM)hempick Wrote: Oh wow. That sounds like quite the quandary.

The way I do it is: If they're all Yankees I use the one on the left to enter it. I have thought about 1 for each player I collect. If one's a Yankee and the other are not I use the Yankee. I have thought about if the non Yankee is someone I collect (Al Kaline for instance I notate it in my general comments. However I can see it being much simpler if I just get a card for each player.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(05-19-2019, 02:05 PM)bamyanks Wrote: The way I do it is: If they're all Yankees I use the one on the left to enter it. I have thought about 1 for each player I collect. If one's a Yankee and the other are not I use the Yankee. I have thought about if the non Yankee is someone I collect (Al Kaline for instance I notate it in my general comments. However I can see it being much simpler if I just get a card for each player.
Getting one card for each player makes sense, assuming that it isn't cost prohibitive.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(05-19-2019, 01:01 PM)zeprock Wrote: Those are a real nuisance to deal with. Speaking of nuisance sets, the 1991-1993 Topps Micro sets are a nuisance to me. Try to shuffle through those.
Small cards, mini cards, micro cards .... hard to store, harder to sort, hardest to see!
At least for less-young eyes like mine! Smile
(05-19-2019, 02:05 PM)bamyanks Wrote: The way I do it is: If they're all Yankees I use the one on the left to enter it. I have thought about 1 for each player I collect. If one's a Yankee and the other are not I use the Yankee. I have thought about if the non Yankee is someone I collect (Al Kaline for instance I notate it in my general comments. However I can see it being much simpler if I just get a card for each player.
As it is right now, unless there's a Yankee or a HOF player on them, I'll probably just send the rest as extras on trades ... any Phillies are already in a pile for Phillies_Joe Angels for Ryan, OPC for Mark and Twins are set aside for Jared (sorry K&B)! That's easier than listing them all ... I'll share the frustration with some friends Smile
If anyone has any player/team prefs let me know -(1988-1990)
Excluding all OPC, Yankees, Angels, Twins, Phillies and HOF players (who is left? Hmmm?)
I'll PWE them out ASAP and share the frustration with even more friends Smile
(05-19-2019, 09:22 PM)hempick Wrote: Getting one card for each player makes sense, assuming that it isn't cost prohibitive.
With one or two stickers per sticker back, and over 250 or more stickers and 250+ sticker backs, the combos could be overwhelmingly difficult to collect, albeit very inexpensive cards ... probably not worth the postage nor the effort. IMO
But some might like that kinda challenge!

Worst of all time I would say the 1909-11 T206 with all those back variations. If I was to collect every back that set would be over 6,000 cards. Talk about a mind boggling set keeping up wich card did not have a certain back which card has the printing flaws and more are discovered every year or 2.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(05-23-2019, 10:58 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Worst of all time I would say the 1909-11 T206 with all those back variations. If I was to collect every back that set would be over 6,000 cards. Talk about a mind boggling set keeping up wich card did not have a certain back which card has the printing flaws and more are discovered every year or 2.
+1
Totally agree ...
... And add in the cost of even low grade versions of those cards... wow. Now THAT collection would be a monumental headache to put together! But if someone did, it would be worthy of a guest-spot show in the Baseball Hall of Fame!