Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointing day for me

Disappointing day for me
Happened to notice this last night.

The top two cards are from Topps Fire's 2017 product. Flame Thrower insert.

The bottom two are from 2018 Fire. Fired Up insert.

Different year and different insert set, but they couldn't even bother using a different picture?

I don't ever remember this happening when multiple companies had MLB (or NBA, NFL, etc) licenses. =\

Fwiw, Panini is guilty of this, too. I noticed a similar thing in some basketball cards I was just sorting.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Disappointing day for me
They are different jerseys. The two from 2017 are Gray and the 2018 are Red. The jersey buttons are different and the seams on the ball are in different spots.

That's what it looks like to me.

^yeah what he said AND, the bottom 2 cards have a midget standing in front of him, kinda like a mini-Sherz....
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

The jerseys are photoshopped...

Look at his face, glove arm position, and ball arm position. It is the same photograph.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I'd have to disagree, look at card 1 (top left) and card 3 (bottom left), different arm position (albeit, slightly), maybe same pitch? Top 2 same and bottom 2 same but, not all 4, maybe same pitch diff photogs? still sucks, their (the card companies) laziness is astounding...
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

It's Topps, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of using the same photo.

However, things like grip, arm slot, etc. are things that are repetitive in pitching mechanics. I mean, success through repetition is kind of a thing at that level.
Kepler

They look very similar, but there are enough details different to say that they are certainly 2 different pictures and not just photoshopped. They fact they used such similar pictures in the same product line 2 years in a row is a bit disappointing, but there has definitely been much worse over the years.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Good pitchers use the same mechanics constantly, the arm position, angle and grip should be the same over and over. His facial expression is always that way. Live in DC area and see him pitch 2 X a week. That said, Topps is not above cutting corners on photos, cheaper to recycle photos than buy a photo from a freelancer..or send their photo staff to get new pictures every year.
Wink 
(05-15-2019, 08:02 PM)flamethrower Wrote: ^yeah what he said AND, the bottom 2 cards have a midget standing in front of him, kinda like a mini-Sherz....
LOL
I was think the same thing!

I hope THAT is the most disappointing day for Hempick's entire life! I could live with that being my worst disappointment! Actually, Topps disappointing us is kinda predictable by now. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

When I first saw the Title in the Forum, I thought "Oh, no, somebody else passed away" or "Hempick opened a hobby box and found that the autos were missing". Once I read the reason for the post, I thought "Wow, his life must be perfect except for this!" Smile