`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading used to be fun

RE: Trading used to be fun
(07-29-2018, 02:31 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: On my cellphone, I cannot see the year or description of the cards on anyone's ORG, which is the 2nd biggest reason I quit trading. All is see are the prices and quantity.

This was after the website "improvement upgrade".

I had always defended Beckett because I was having great experiences trading and liked the Box Breaks. Now neither is what they used to be, so maybe I should decide to call it quits and try to figure out pricing using other sources. I just don't want to go thru the pain of re-cataloging 30,000 cards!
I dunno, but the $100 for the dynamic duo for a year of ORG, OPG and 12 issue magazine subscription seems reasonable for me. I'd be sporadically picking up the mag at Barnes & Nobel and it would cost me more that $100 for 8 issues a year. IMO, stick around. Who knows ... trading might get better?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It is not about the money, but the time wasted on inactive members or card searches in rejected trades.

(07-29-2018, 05:17 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: It is not about the money, but the time wasted on inactive members or card searches in rejected trades.
I was mostly talking about price guide stuff. Repricing and updating 30,000 cards ... I'd rather keep my ORG
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

For me the biggest deterrent would be inactive traders as someone has also mentioned. It sucks to find a card you need that someone has listed "for trade" and send them an offer and get no response; happens all the time. Still love trading though.
1,254 unique Chipper Jones
317 unique Javy Lopez

(07-29-2018, 05:17 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: It is not about the money, but the time wasted on inactive members or card searches in rejected trades.
Sorting through inactive members is one of the biggest hassles when trading. And it's worse when I'm looking for basketball. Maybe it's because it's the off-season, but it seems like 80% of people who collect basketball and have cards I'm looking for are non active traders.

I've only been here are about 8 months, so my experiences are limited compared to most of you here. I've had a few rejected trades, but I've more trades not even get off the ground due to my own lack of confidence in having something someone else would want. I'll search for something I'd like, find another collector, look through their org, think, "yeah, I'd like a bunch of these," but then back out when I get the feeling like I couldn't possibly have anything they'd be interested it. I think some of that is due to my perception that most people on the site seem more interested in higher end sets and hits, and less people are into the moderately priced sets as I am. But again, that's just my perception.
Currently looking for rare Sean Doolittle cards
1992 & 1996 Dream Team autos and relics
Bay Area High School and College star autographs

Just got back to trading, now people want to leave.
i'll check orgs, if i dont see something looking for. trade might not happen.
Its better if someone wants trade $100 card from me, have something close to that value to look at.
Dont always want trade away 1 for 10 lower priced cards.
Just my 2 cents

If someone doesn't want to trade their Jeters, what the heck are they doing in the org then?

I've got my first box ready to go to COMC tomorrow.

I've re-upped for a month here, but auto renew is off.
**Looking for certified autos of these 86 Mets: Ojeda, Aguilera, Elster, K. Mitchell, Heep, Sisk, Leach, Niemann, Hearn, Myers, Sid Fernandez and Davey Johnson MGR **  https://www.flickr.com/photos/164322911@N05/albums

I still like to trade on here, but my hobby time is limited these days. First thing I look at when I start a trade offer is when was the last date the person logged in. If its been a month or longer, most likely they are inactive. That lets me know not to bother sending offer. Most of what I want or "Need" for my collection is marked in organize. If none of them show up on traders organize, I decline. It makes it simple and a lot less time consuming. That's just my .02 worth.
[Image: yankeebanner.jpg]

i love it here. 760 plus trades. trades are down but traders come and go, thats the nature of the business/life/collecting/, i guess. my collection has grown so much over the years because of traders. i hate looking thru Photobucket and other stuff like that. inactive traders should be removed after a two year period. but also check there trade history, if haven't traded in awhile than just consider them inactive while looking for a card and move on, post in the threads what your looking for, maybe somebody has in pc and my trade you.
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

I also look at the last login date of a user before sending an offer. If they don't respond within 7-10 days I will cancel the offer. No harm, no foul. I enjoy looking through ORGs and trading on here. I find the majority of users as good/great traders and welcome new traders as well. Some members are only high end or low end collectors so that has to be considered when trying to make a fair offer. I do agree though that Beckett could definitely use some upgrades to justify their OPG/ORG pricing.