`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best way to protect cards

Best way to protect cards
I noticed there are sometimes. When cards are in sleeves and toploaders. That cards can be chipped or corners dinged. At times when the cards are gone through a lot. Like packing them for shows or stuff. Is there a better way to protect them?

RE: Best way to protect cards
Nope penny sleeve straight to top loader still the best without having them graded and encapsulated.

A think a lot of people sleeve a card to quickly nicking a corner in the process. As long as you are careful should be fine.

I still like the one touch magnetic holders the best.

(06-12-2018, 07:17 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: A think a lot of people sleeve a card to quickly nicking a corner in the process. As long as you are careful should be fine.
Agreed. If you have loose penny sleeves it isn't really an issue, but if you are using something like Ultra Pro's Platinum series (which purposely have a snug fit) then you really need to be careful. I sometimes like to loosen the top of the penny sleeve so that I don't have to worry about dings. It takes more time, but it is worth the extra effort imo.

Basically if you are damaging your cards when putting them into sleeves and top loaders, you are doing something wrong. The problem isn't the sleeve or the top loader.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(06-12-2018, 08:37 PM)hempick Wrote: Agreed. If you have loose penny sleeves it isn't really an issue, but if you are using something like Ultra Pro's Platinum series (which purposely have a snug fit) then you really need to be careful. I sometimes like to loosen the top of the penny sleeve so that I don't have to worry about dings. It takes more time, but it is worth the extra effort imo.

Basically if you are damaging your cards when putting them into sleeves and top loaders, you are doing something wrong. The problem isn't the sleeve or the top loader.
Right to the point..protection only goes so far..careful handling is a must

Yes, the majority of cards I get from like Amazon and the bay already have the lower right corner whited out for me, courtesy of being lazy and careless.

I actually cut the sleeve about a half inch down the right edge so that this doesn't happen to me, or anyone I sell to or trade with.

(06-13-2018, 02:51 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yes, the majority of cards I get from like Amazon and the bay already have the lower right corner whited out for me, courtesy of being lazy and careless.

I actually cut the sleeve about a half inch down the right edge so that this doesn't happen to me, or anyone I sell to or trade with.
Weirdness. I've don't think I've ever encountered it on eBay and I've bought 1,000s of cards on there over the years.

I can't comment regarding Amazon, though, because I've never bought singles off of there. (They always seem way overpriced compared to other places.)
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I will sometimes slice the inside top edge of a penny sleeve about a 1/4 inch with a razor. It then makes it very easy and safe to slide a card into the sleeve.

I use penny sleeves and semi-rigid holders for most of my regular thickness cards. They're a bit cheaper and I can fit more into a box. Never thought about cutting the side of a penny sleeve to make it easier to insert the card. This is something I will have to start doing.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

(06-13-2018, 06:06 PM)hempick Wrote: Weirdness. I've don't think I've ever encountered it on eBay and I've bought 1,000s of cards on there over the years.

I can't comment regarding Amazon, though, because I've never bought singles off of there. (They always seem way overpriced compared to other places.)
Amazon is extremely overpriced, but all I get for Christmas and birthday gifts are Amazon gift cards, LOL.

And I promise you, take a closer look at those thousands of cards you've bought on eBay and you'll find plenty of snowy white corners on the bottom right.