`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cracking graded slabs

Cracking graded slabs
I read from time to time of people cracking graded slabs in order to resubmit for a possible better grade. Not my intention but I have sets I am working on where slabs present a storage issue and I personally don't care if the card is graded. It seems as there was a period prior to the ease of online pictures where people graded way to much stuff I have a couple graded card boxes of Bonds stuff (long time Bonds guy that bought a few collections out) that I certainly would never have sent in. Long and short any good techniques for opening the things with minimal risk to the card?

RE: Cracking graded slabs
There's always going to be a slight risk. Have you checked YouTube?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I normally use a screwdriver and hammer. It works!!! I start at the top two corners and work a straight line across
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

I would stay away from screwdrivers and hammers.
Easiest way to crack even the best cases (BGS) are with "end cutting" pliers.

Just start at a corner edge, squeeze semi hard tilting up and down slightly till the piece cracks off or separates and simply work your way around the entire case edge or at least 3 sides and pop the 4th side up.

Easy and stress free of causing damage.
I would recommend some eye protection though, some of the cases can really send some small plastic pieces flying when they crack.

PSA and SGC are really easy but the plastic really has a habit of flying, BGS is easy too but usually breaks in larger chunks.

I use a pair of wire snips like the ones pictured to snip the one of the top corners off then you should easily be able to take a small screwdriver and pry the case the rest of the way open.

[Image: SNY_84-105.jpg]