`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which brands to buy?

Which brands to buy?
I havent bought sports cards since i was a kid and teenager in the 80's and early 90's. My favourite was Upperdeck baseball and hockey. However, Now it seems so confusing. So many editions and types of cards etc. And upperdeck doesnt make Baseball cards anymore etc. So my questions are

What are the best brands to buy for baseball, hockey and basketball in erms of valuable cards in packs?

Which brands offer the best chances at getting the most valuable cards from random packs?

I want brands where you buy a bunch of packs and there is a random rare chance of getting a nice valuable card. I dont want to buy a card at convention etc.

RE: Which brands to buy?
It is actually less confusing now. There are only two brands for baseball, Topps and Panini. If you like players in their actual MLB uniforms, go with Topps because only they have an MLB license. If you don't mind not seeing team logos on uniforms, then you can buy Panini. (I'd never buy Panini for baseball, but some people don't mind the missing logos.)

For NBA and NFL, your only choice for officially licensed cards is Panini. Upper Deck is the only company licensed to make NHL cards.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Ok thanks. But with topps there is like 100 different editions like chrome heritage platnium etc etc etc. ITs all really confusing. And with Upperdeck there is are series 1 and 2 and other editions. ITS definietly NOT less confusing than before.

You can never go wrong with Topps Chrome. Autographs and refractors to be found. Heritage is another good one, they do a set with the same design of a vintage set every year. This year is 1969. Big time autographs and some nice jersey cards to be found in here. Bowman is for your first year player cards. Some high dollar autos to be found, people like to get in on the top prospects early. Read up on some box breaks on this site, or browse eBay and find something that appeals to you and go from there. No wrong way to collect. It is much more confusing than it was in the 80s and early 90s, but you have a lot more choices now.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(05-04-2018, 08:45 PM)Davinci Wrote: Ok thanks. But with topps there is like 100 different editions like chrome heritage platnium etc etc etc. ITs all really confusing. And with Upperdeck there is are series 1 and 2 and other editions. ITS definietly NOT less confusing than before.
Respectfully disagree.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(05-04-2018, 09:40 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: You can never go wrong with Topps Chrome. Autographs and refractors to be found. Heritage is another good one, they do a set with the same design of a vintage set every year. This year is 1969. Big time autographs and some nice jersey cards to be found in here. Bowman is for your first year player cards. Some high dollar autos to be found, people like to get in on the top prospects early. Read up on some box breaks on this site, or browse eBay and find something that appeals to you and go from there. No wrong way to collect. It is much more confusing than it was in the 80s and early 90s, but you have a lot more choices now.
From reading it seems like Topps Chrome is a fun way to collect with different color schemes for rarity etc. But there is also Bowman Chrome or is that the Topps chrome you are referring to? ITs all so confusing sigh

(05-05-2018, 03:36 AM)Davinci Wrote: From reading it seems like Topps Chrome is a fun way to collect with different color schemes for rarity etc. But there is also Bowman Chrome or is that the Topps chrome you are referring to? ITs all so confusing sigh
There is both Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome. The refractors in both are really nice.

Then there is hobby boxes or HTA boxes and retail boxes. What about those lol.

In hobby, you get better odds at hits. Usually better hits in general. HTA had slightly better odds of hits, but I'm not sure they do that much any more. In retail, the hits are few and far between. At a lower price point, the odds are greater, but they are out there. My last couple of autographs came out of retail.

(05-07-2018, 07:45 AM)bengalsandreds Wrote: In hobby, you get better odds at hits. Usually better hits in general. HTA had slightly better odds of hits, but I'm not sure they do that much any more. In retail, the hits are few and far between. At a lower price point, the odds are greater, but they are out there. My last couple of autographs came out of retail.
I'm guessing, normally, autographs are the most valuable in general?