`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Leaf Football

2018 Leaf Football
2018 Leaf Football is out in retail stores - be aware before you buy that the product contains "mystery redemption cards" for all of the players who appear in Leaf Hobby Products which is to say most of the highly rated prospects. That means that the boxes only contain autographs of lower rated prospects.

Also be aware that the expiration date listed on the redemption cards is 3/31/2018 which I kind of hope is a mistake since it means that the redemption cards expire within about a week of the product hitting store shelves. I got a few boxes of them and got one and was amazed at the expiration date being the day I bought the product. I took no chances and immediately entered in the code not knowing how Leaf handles redemption cards. I'd also note that the use of "mystery redemptions" is rather annoying - I'd rather get the card inserted in the box - or at least know what I am going to be getting through a redemption card. At least Leaf doesn't make you pay for the privilege of getting the card they failed to deliver in the box like the Panini Rewards program - but I can't say I'm a fan of the concept.

Product wise, the cards look about like last year. Just beware of the use of mystery redemption cards.

RE: 2018 Leaf Football
Leaf doesn't have an NFL or NCAA license, though, right?
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Other than what seems like a mistake with the date, I'm hoping the mystery redemptions mean better players, because by and large the autos that you do get in this product suck.

The best auto I've ever pulled out a Leaf blaster is probably Juwan James, a first round OL draft pick by the Dophins back in 2013.

Otherwise, most of them are all very late draft picks or undrafted free agents that never make a roster.

The only saving grace is that I've pulled 2-3 obscure USC players for my Trojans PC.

However, I do like this product because you usually can complete the set in 1-2 blasters, and the gold parallels are a fun and easy chase at one per pack.

I always enjoy grabbing a blaster or two, because I know exactly what to expect, especially in a big year for USC players in the draft.

(04-02-2018, 08:56 AM)hempick Wrote: Leaf doesn't have an NFL or NCAA license, though, right?
Correct

(04-02-2018, 09:32 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Other than what seems like a mistake with the date, I'm hoping the mystery redemptions mean better players, because by and large the autos that you do get in this product suck.
There are some high ranking prospects on the list, but with 64 players there are some fairly low ranked as NFL prospects as well - https://leaftradingcards.com/wp-content/...CL_REV.pdf

There is no short print information yet and no report on what the odds of a mystery redemption card is - I'm guessing that all of the players on the mystery redemption list are short prints to some degree but there is also no word on whether all 64 players on the mystery redemption list will be "randomly" selected at different odds.

I guess I will find out what it is when I get the card in the mail.

I got the "Mystery Redemption" card in the mail - and it turns out to be Arden Key who is a defensive end from LSU - it is a gold autograph - he's projected for the third or fourth round so its a bit odd that he would be a redemption since there are projected first round defensive players inserted in packs - but that is what I ended up with.

JMO, but Leaf is garbage in the first place. They have no sports licenses, so they are basically the "Broder" of the 2010-era.
They also are making it seem like they are the original Leaf brand by using the same logo. It's not the same company and they didn't buy the original company. I'll never buy anything they make.

(04-17-2018, 08:33 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I got the "Mystery Redemption" card in the mail - and it turns out to be Arden Key who is a defensive end from LSU - it is a gold autograph - he's projected for the third or fourth round so its a bit odd that he would be a redemption since there are projected first round defensive players inserted in packs - but that is what I ended up with.
I could part with one of my Zach Ertz autos for the Key auto if you're up for it.

PM me, thanks!

RJ

(05-01-2018, 02:52 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: They also are making it seem like they are the original Leaf brand by using the same logo. It's not the same company and they didn't buy the original company. I'll never buy anything they make.
I'm with you in that I prefer buying licensed cards that can make full use of team names, logos, schools, etc. However at least they are providing some sort of alternate choice to Panini. Leaf did buy the rights to the name. Granted it's not the Leaf of old, but it's not like Score or Donruss are the same company from the 1980s either.