`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1999 Topps Finest Refractors Gallery

1999 Topps Finest Refractors Gallery
The previous posts about Prominent Figures and Gold Refractors were fun, but something was missing from them. Something.... incomplete if you will. Feast your eyes on an entirely completed set this time around!

Finest Refractors

At some point I'll pick up grading the set again, once return times come back down to saner levels. Till then, 82/175 graded, with several that will require a re-grade.

BGS Refractors

RE: 1999 Topps Finest Refractors Gallery
Congrats on finishing the set! Not a great rookie cast that year, probably helped their availability though lol. They look even more amazing graded with gold labels!

One of the nicest looking Finest sets ever, imo. Really cool.

I happen to think the rookie crop was very good that year, actually. Donovan McNabb, Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, Torry Holt, and Champ Bailey had great careers.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(02-09-2018, 10:56 AM)savagenate Wrote: Congrats on finishing the set! Not a great rookie cast that year, probably helped their availability though lol. They look even more amazing graded with gold labels!
Thanks! In terms of cost you are most correct. Some years are absolutely ruinous to try and build a set for (cough, cough, Rodgers, cough). The players picked were decent enough.

(02-11-2018, 06:53 PM)hempick Wrote: One of the nicest looking Finest sets ever, imo. Really cool.

I happen to think the rookie crop was very good that year, actually. Donovan McNabb, Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, Torry Holt, and Champ Bailey had great careers.
Thank you, thank you. It's my favorite designed set with a decent sized checklist without it being out of control like the mid-90s versions.

According to my favorite stats site pro-football-reference.com, the top 10 players in terms of "Weighted Career Average Value" are:

Edgerrin James - 114
Champ Bailey - 111
Donovan McNabb - 107
Torry Holt - 99
Joey Porter - 89
Daunte Culpepper - 86
Ricky Williams - 76
Donald Driver - 76
Todd McClure - 74
Mike Peterson - 72

Pretty solid crew overall, with 6 of the top 10 appearing in print. Given that this set was released in September, it would have been hard to predict Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia seeing time and success. Warner would have been the 3rd Rams QB on the checklist. For rookies, they would have had to drop Troy Edwards (1st rnd WR) or Amos Zereoue (3rd rnd RB) to make room for a 3rd round LB like Porter (and the 8th LB picked). McClure is an offensive lineman so he's out. Driver a 7th round rookie WR and Peterson was the 5th LB taken in the draft.

hmmm, it's possible I'm way too invested in this at this point.

Culpepper would have had a beast of a career if he didn't get hurt. He was on fire the year before the injury. Such a shame. I'm still kind of miffed about that one.

I've always liked Amos Zereoue if only for his cool last name.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Finally got around to scanning in the base set. It's fun throwing this one and the refractor set up on two tabs and switching between them.

1999 Finest Football