Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to price rare cards for insurance purposes

How to price rare cards for insurance purposes
Hello,

Trying to figure out how to value rare cards that I have (such as a Dan Marino Auto 4/10, etc.) in which there is no pricing in Beckett. I would like pricing for insurance purposes in case of loss in fire, ect.). Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine pricing? Much appreciated.

RE: How to price rare cards for insurance purposes
Best way is to search eBay and other sites for comp listings, and have them available to show your insurance company if they ask. Just my thought anyways. But yeah, a fire proof safe would be good investment, though I know I like to display my cards rather than have them locked away.

You can at least get a baseline by finding a Marino with a slightly higher print run from the same or similar set (IE if you have a 2010 National Treasures auto, then a 2015 National Treasures auto would generally be the same price) then give yourself a multiplier bump. For example:

Player Anonymous
base auto = $100
/100 = $150
/50 = $175
/25 = $200
/10 = ?

I would generally give myself a value of $250 for the /10 card.

Ive always kind of wondered this myself and figured I would just keep a record of my paypal payment history with pictures of the cards. Its a lot of work but what else would you really be able to do especially for rare stuff. Also make sure your safe is waterproof along with fire since well, water is what comes next after the fire.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

I have USAA renter's insurance, and they cover my cards. I think Gieco will as well.
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734

I agree with this way of pricing cards on Beckett that have "N/A" in their value, or are 1/1, /5, /10, etc
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734

You can always use the Beckett Appraisal service. I have considered this for some really rare expensive cards. However I also tend to keep receipts and records showing what I paid for them. A lot of it will come down to the insurance adjuster you end up dealing with if you ever have to file a claim. I had flood damage and had to deal with an insurance adjuster who was insistent that baseball cards are worthless. As I spoke to him more about it, he felt that way because he collected during the late 80s and early 90s and when he went to find out the value of his collection many years later he was told that they were worthless. It took me a little bit of time to explain the difference in cards today and even some of those "worthless" years still had some valuable cards in them.
Having to deal with that situation really made me defensive when someone totally dismisses ALL cards from the 80s and 90s as being worthless.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Yeah that makes sense. I just bought a Dan Marino 2016 Marks of Fame 4/10 Auto. I just did a search on Beckett for pricing for autos /25 of various years which came up about $100 - $150 high book so I figure add another $100 would give me a range of $250 - $300. Definitely going to take pics of the cards and make sure my collection is documented. Thanks for the insight much appreciated.

Well, if you buy a card then the value to insure is what you paid, which is market value.