`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was given a collection of over 250k cards

RE: Was given a collection of over 250k cards
I'd start sorting by team and go from there. Interested in Tigers if/when u get around to moving some.

Thanks for all the imput Smile.

Basicly i took the first suggestion and ran with it. Making it through a few boxes a day. Slow but steady.

(01-21-2018, 08:14 AM)sparty78 Wrote: I would sort them into years first then sets. . I aquired a large collection last October and I'm still listing the inserts and parallels first. It is quicker to list all the cards of a certain subset rather than going by players name. Once you list the subsets and parallels then start the regular cards , listing short prints first then stars. As stated here before you can forget 1987 through 1994 except a few of the more expensive sets. In those years you can sell in lots of certain players or say a team lot of 50 or 100. In those lots be careful of your shipping. The prior to 1980 cards should be good to sell or trade as long as you are honest about their condition. Good luck and have fun don't make it work!
Luckily i have a booth at something similar to a flea market that i can sell most of the lower price cards out of. Along with some of the higher priced one in a locked show case the staff has to open. Granted there is the risk and promise of some theft. Its still a nice way to be able to sell base cards and some inserts rares and parrels.

Some of the stuff is priced and out there, But honestly i am not really happy with some of the pricing and set up.

he had most in the multi row shoe boxes in penny sleves sorted by player name for people to look through. Some where in binders. Not really sure how i feel about that set up as i dont have as much space as he had for strictly cards. Its a work in progress so to speak. luckly i have a little bit before spring training to work on it... even though there are 2018 releases just around the corner.

Compeletly unrelated it kind of worries and angers me that topps has a strangle hold on the license in baseball and panini in football...

(01-21-2018, 10:46 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Would you be interested in selling the lot and let someone else do the labor ?

Would also be helpful to post some pics so we can get a general idea of what you have and condition.
The idea had crossed my mind and i might sell part of the lot locally but the owner had gotten offers and still gave it to me since he knew i had a place to sell, had done so in the past and enjoyed the collecting aspect of it. So it would feel like a betrayal to just sell the lot off like that.

(01-21-2018, 01:38 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I would get 3" binders and put them in by years so if your trading you know exactly where to go look for the cards

If your looking to collect Reds for yourself and that is all your going to collect and I would do the same thing with binders and or top loaders for game used, autographs and scarce cards 50 or lower
not sure how i am going to handle my collection i have always been a fan of binders and how they display cards so will probably go with what you have suggested.

will probably focus on current reds and the big red machine for a while as i now have a nice base of 50,000 reds cards through the ages to pick and choose from.

on the football side i will do the same with the bungles... ken anderson era, then boomer, palmer, and now dalton Sad

moslty drawn to rookies and special years for teams or players but who knows where i will end up going with it honestly.

(01-21-2018, 11:36 PM)hempick Wrote: Sounds like a dream. I'd love to have the problem of sorting through that many cards lol.

haha. Indeed i was very happy to have been given this. I only wish the owner was in better health so i could pester him with questions about it. sadly i feel like that would be in bad taste though.

(01-23-2018, 03:22 AM)mgruber2 Wrote: I'd start sorting by team and go from there. Interested in Tigers if/when u get around to moving some.

I Have seen a couple of neat cobb, trammel, Cabrera, and Bunning.

Some cool stuff from when Bunning was running for office and in congress also lol...

but it will be a while before i want to sell or trade any of the cooler things i find as i do a little research on them and on what i would like to add to my collection.

nice big wall of text lol.

i usually try to be more proactive in responding in threads i create but i am not getting notified by responses so my bad.

(01-24-2018, 05:58 AM)somedudescards Wrote: will probably focus on current reds and the big red machine for a while as i now have a nice base of 50,000 reds cards through the ages to pick and choose from.

on the football side i will do the same with the bungles... ken anderson era, then boomer, palmer, and now dalton Sad
Jealous of this.

BTW you needed more of these Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad after Dalton......

Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

you could just clear your calendar for about 2 weeks and have a steady supply of caffeine if you want to go through and organize all your cards, lol. Best of luck.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

However you do it, it sounds like it will take lots of space and be loads of fun!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I think it's all about how much work you want to put into it. I would focus on the pre 1970s and late 2000s and as for the late 70s 80s 90s and early 2000s just sort by team and sell team lots. Cherry pick the most important RCs like the Jeter RC of that time. And sell those separate. I would think a 500 card team lot would be a good start with selling for $5-$10 depending on team with a guarantee of atleast a big name RC from those decades. Atleast it'll help move most of your tonage of the low-end stuff and let you focus on older and harder to find stuff.

One thing is, and you can write off not only your cards but the shipping costs (I found that out last year) is that I'm always in need for cards for donation for my twice a year show at Adat Chaverim. Without too many details, we give everyone who attends a goodie bag of cards with a prize slip inside. PM me if you need

Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

(01-20-2018, 11:05 PM)somedudescards Wrote: Will definitely scour the forums and pricing guides to see whats been happening the last few years.

About 10% are 69 and older about 30% are 2000 and newer.

The majority are 70s 80s with a decent amout of 90s. Very few of the 80s and 90s are not star cards carew ryan ripken thomas or second tier players. most of what i would consider non star cards are rookies of players that never made it or never quite achieve stardom.

So not worried about not being able to move them I found away in the past and will do so again.

I was just hoping someone would offer some insight on sorting and organizing a large amount of cards with out overwhelming and burning myself out.

I was elated and floating on endorphins for the first few weeks but now the grind is wearying.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Honestly, I'd just pitch (or donate) all of the 1980s cards. For the 1990s cards, I'd look for inserts/refractors, especially of star players. I'd do the same thing for 2000s cards. Toss all base and any player from the 1990s/2000s you've never heard of. Once you do that, your collection should be slimmed down to a more manageable level.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

This thread got me thinking.

I thought my collection was a decent size, but it is less than 5% of the 250k in the collection that the topic creator mentioned.

I can't even fathom what 250,000 cards would look like.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(01-28-2018, 08:00 PM)hempick Wrote: This thread got me thinking.

I thought my collection was a decent size, but it is less than 5% of the 250k in the collection that the topic creator mentioned.

I can't even fathom what 250,000 cards would look like.
Great point! My 28,000 card collection takes up a lot of space with 1/2 of it in boxes and the other 1/2 in 3-ring binders. I cannot imagine what a 1/4 million does.

Some newbie on this site claims they have over 1,000,000 cards to sort and list in their ORG...must take 15-20 years to accumulate and 6 months to organize.