`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Tigers fans - 2 new HOFers!

Congrats Tigers fans - 2 new HOFers!
It was announced today that the veteran's committee voted in Jack Morris and Alan Trammell into the HOF. I am happy that they both got in, and that they got in together is nice. I was hoping that Dale Murphy would get enough support, but he wasn't even halfway there (which surprised me a little bit).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Congrats Tigers fans - 2 new HOFers!
I thought 3-4 players would make it on this ballot, but figured Morris was a slam dunk!

Already pulling all my Morris & Trammell cards and putting them into my HOF boxes. Will give me something to do tonight!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

Whitaker and Trammell should have gone in together.
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

I was more than pleasantly surprised. When they announced only 2 had made it I was hoping at least one of them got in. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would both get in! Let alone be the only 2!

Very happy Tiger fan right hereSmile

Great respect for the committee that voted them in!
(12-10-2017, 09:58 PM)newtmcknz Wrote: Whitaker and Trammell should have gone in together.
I agree. Whitaker should be in the hall as well.

I agree with Jack Morris getting in, but Trammell? Honestly, his numbers looks weak compared to most in the Hall. No doubt a good player, and I would want him on my team any day of the week. Solid 20 year career but not sure if I would place him above all of his peers as the best of the best.

Trammell
Career: 185 HR, .285 BA, 1003 RBI, SS, 6xAllStar, 4xGG, Tigers 1977-1996

Mattingly
Career: 222 HR, .307 BA, 1099 RBI, 1B/OF, 1985 AL MVP, 6xAllStar, 9xGG, Yankees 1982-1995, 3x 2B Leader.

Maybe it's my Yankee-bias coming through, but during the same time period, give or take a few years, Donnie Baseball's stats crush Trammell's stats. Both made 6 AS games, but other than a 20 year career and more at-bat/plate appearances ... where else does Trammell dominate over Mattingly? I just don't see it.
Again, nothing against Trammell, a fine shortstop with good numbers, certainly to be proud of, but only the best should be in the Hall. Was he the best of the best, or just the best of the good? Or am I misremembering my youth when I followed baseball much better than I do now?
Even when compared to other SS of that time, is he as good as Ozzie or Cal. Ozzie' BA is less but his fielding !!!! And like ... 15 or 16 GG as a SS. Stolen bases like crazy, etc.
I just don't see it. Sorry. Sad

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It's now officially the Hall of Good. Let's get Whitaker, Fidrych, Darrell Evans and Fred Lynn in there. Why stop now?

Guess I've got to move a bunch of 5 cent cards into my HOF collection.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The Tigers are catching up. Bet you didn't know Alan Trammell played 20 seasons in the big leagues, played with 333 different players and, somehow or other, never played with a single Hall of Famer.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

(12-11-2017, 08:27 AM)cweiland Wrote: The Tigers are catching up. Bet you didn't know Alan Trammell played 20 seasons in the big leagues, played with 333 different players and, somehow or other, never played with a single Hall of Famer.
Other than Jack Morris (and played for Sparky Anderson).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I agree with Doc, Don Mattingly should absolutely be in the Hall.

He was the best hitter of his era in terms of average and power.

And this is coming from a Tigers fan who is thrilled about Morris and Trammell.

Mattingly should definitely be in, it's a shame he isnt. Hopefully this new committee will fix that over the next few years.

I cant believe Morris wasnt in just for 1991 Game 7 alone. Dude has three rings from before the expanded playoffs.
Is this thing on?