`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Cut auto vs sticker auto?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Cut
41.67%
5 41.67%
Sticker
41.67%
5 41.67%
No difference between the two
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of autograph would you rather have?

What kind of autograph would you rather have?
Hypothetical question, what would you rather have; a cut autograph or a sticker autograph?

Same player, set, design, scarcity, etc. The only difference is the section where the autograph is. Either it's a window with a cut autograph embedded or no window but a sticker. The window and the sticker are the same size, the autographs otherwise identical, though the sticker would be clear vs the cut coming from paper.

Does it not matter at all? If it does matter, why?

RE: What kind of autograph would you rather have?
I don't particularly like sticker autos, but cut ones are even worse, imo. The card designs that I've seen with cut autographs seem to be very unimaginative.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

As much as I dislike sticker autos, I have yet to see a design I like with the cut autos.

UD did a great job with autograph cuts around the turn of the century:

[Image: b04974f0d3af0dd6dacdbb3eeb886861--vince-...r-deck.jpg]

[Image: cuts28.jpg]

...but unless its an already-deceased player, a cut autograph seems a tad superfluous.
[Image: sp9m5j.jpg]

I've always disliked big stickers that are very obviously stickers. 2010 Finest got it right when they essentially embed the sticker so you can't see the edges of it. I agree with C^2 that cut autos of living people (who are willing signers) is probably not needed but if the set design is done right it can really pop. Though I do like to make my own cut autos, I probably wouldn't seek them out. The Walter Payton cut autos from phone cards that Leaf embeds isn't all that appealing.

(12-02-2017, 10:40 AM)hempick Wrote: I don't particularly like sticker autos, but cut ones are even worse, imo. The card designs that I've seen with cut autographs seem to be very unimaginative.
I think the fact that the auto is cut gives it enough imagination as it is. They don't have to get much fancier than that for me. I like to be able to tell where the sig was cut from, if I can, and that can take some space.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I prefer the auto to be on the card. However, between the cut out and the sticker, as much as stickers annoy me, hving a bulkier card that's not a jersey or memorbilia card is just annoying for me when I'm trying to find cards. So, I'm going to go with Stickers
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734

If the cut done right the cut looks nicer, but cutting down autographed pictures or other cards to make the cut auto is really bad. If the auto is on a white or simple background and it fits in the window nicely then it is better than a sticker. Unfortunately, that isn't done most of the time.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

This kind of only applies to the recently deceased. For living players, do they even use cuts? We all want hand signed, but will deal with stickers. When Topps includes a Tony Gwyn Sticker auto card in a new product, it just feels like they were laying around, and Topps is just trying to get rid of old sticker stock (I know they do that with living players, but it feels worse with a dead player). With a cut, at least it feels like they took "some" effort

Cut autos hands down. They just look nicer with the frame around them. And does anyone else fear with with time, stickers will lose their glue backing and come off?
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]