`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever seen a card that was graded that made you think: Why would you grade th
Rainbow 
Have you ever seen a card that was graded that made you think: Why would you grade th
Have you ever seen a card that was graded that made you think: Why would you grade this and if so what was wrong with it

I was just looking at the ken griffery jr rookie card that is in a BGS slab graded 1.

Here is a link to the page.

http://thejuniorjunkie.blogspot.com/2015...eck-1.html

You will see what I am talking about with the card.

RE: Have you ever seen a card that was graded that made you think: Why would you grade th
I really don't know, but it kind of irks me that 1 is the lowest grade.

I mean, it makes sense that 1 is the lowest, but I feel like there is too much variation for 1s.

I almost feel like there should be negative grades or at least a grade of 0.5 and 0.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Have you ever seen a card that was graded that made you think: Why would you grade th
Sometimes I wonder that about cards that are graded that there isnt a chance to significantly increase value. For example, I traded for a Ryne Sandberg (one of my pc guys) Sweet Spot auto that was graded. Not sure why, maybe card protection or something.

I'm not sure why they chose to grade the Griffey but it made a whole lot more sense than grading that 88 Donruss Mike Lavalliere lol.
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

What do you think a PSA 10 1988 Donruss Mike Lavalliere would sell for? Is there any 1988 Donruss card graded a 10? I would be shocked due to the black and blue border!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

A lot of cards like that got graded because people needed to submit stuff to get to whatever postage rate to make it seem worth it to them. So they had 4 actual cards worth grading and then dumped in 6 1988 Topps Dave Stewarts.
Is this thing on?

I think getting a card graded like that 1988 Donruss Mike Lavalliere has to hold monumental sentimental value. Maybe it was that person's first card he can remember and carried it with him everywhere? And when he got older, decided to protect it? I can definitely see people doing something like that.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

What if it was the card that there mother gave them as a child. Yes a simple hard guards would do the job. But by slabbing it...the individual is enshrining it for posterity, it may be a demonstration of its intrinsic value rather than its monetary value.

When Sentimental value > actual value, anything is possible. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.