`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up at my first card show in 20 years!

RE: Setting up at my first card show in 20 years!
(10-31-2017, 12:39 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Two summers ago I set up a table in my driveway during a neighborhood garage sale. I had a big sign, I had everything priced, I had binders, boxes, and stacks...and not one person stopped to look! I could have put a big hole in my garage wall from the frustration. Instead, I said "never again will I go through that much work in the hopes of selling some".
So, this year I have sent 4 batches of cards to COMC. Still not great results, but over $600 in sales has allowed me to replace with cards/players that I want. And, I don't have to be embarrassed if no one looks, because I have no idea whether they do or not unless a sale happens! Smile
Selling at a garage sale is really tough. I have had 4 garage sales in the past 10 years and at each one I put out cards, memorabilia and sports paraphernalia. I even had unopened packs and boxes really cheap. The only thing I have ever sold from that is some magazines with local sports teams on them. I did get some interest in some unopened boxes, but the people wanted me to open the box so they could buy just 1 or 2 packs, and I wasn't about to do that.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-03-2017, 05:22 PM)djohn Wrote: Selling at a garage sale is really tough. I have had 4 garage sales in the past 10 years and at each one I put out cards, memorabilia and sports paraphernalia. I even had unopened packs and boxes really cheap. The only thing I have ever sold from that is some magazines with local sports teams on them. I did get some interest in some unopened boxes, but the people wanted me to open the box so they could buy just 1 or 2 packs, and I wasn't about to do that.
Wow! Not good...

(11-03-2017, 05:22 PM)djohn Wrote: Selling at a garage sale is really tough. I have had 4 garage sales in the past 10 years and at each one I put out cards, memorabilia and sports paraphernalia. I even had unopened packs and boxes really cheap. The only thing I have ever sold from that is some magazines with local sports teams on them. I did get some interest in some unopened boxes, but the people wanted me to open the box so they could buy just 1 or 2 packs, and I wasn't about to do that.
Where do you guys live???? That's exactly what I look for when the wife drags me to garage sales?? Lol
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(11-03-2017, 07:43 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: Where do you guys live???? That's exactly what I look for when the wife drags me to garage sales?? Lol
Ha! Rochester, MN. No card shops in town, either. And, the retail-only products never end up at Wal-Mart or Target.
This is where you play the world's smallest violin for me.

the whole pricing thing i understand, however from a dealers perspective who has done the big national shows the last few years. People that put prices on the front of the cards to be visibly seen in a showcase as you are walking around have the least amount of people at the table and dont seem to sell stuff. in parts too people pricing them so high to draw attention. I myself stop at every table. I always ask price regardless if priced on the front. your prices will determine your sales not if everything is priced to be visibly seen
collect:pujols, trout,Salvador Perez,Jeter (rcs)

shipping: please have the respect of packaging the cards were they will not get damged. shipping cards in between toploaders when they are higher end cards is not acceptable. i will not ship cards like that to you so please do not ship them to me like that.

(11-03-2017, 07:43 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: Where do you guys live???? That's exactly what I look for when the wife drags me to garage sales?? Lol
Florida, which is a garage sale mecca. I have been to quite a few myself, and usually the only cards I ever see are overpriced junk-era cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-03-2017, 12:51 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Lucky you I have been collecting for 28 years and never been to a show. Sure wish I could go to one sometime. Maybe I can find some of those T-206's I need at a good price.
The big shows are the places to see T206's. Saw more that I could count yesterday at the GBSCC show at the Shriners in Wilmington MA. Other than that show, you only see none to a handful at the smaller shows.

(11-03-2017, 09:47 PM)908 Wrote: the whole pricing thing i understand, however from a dealers perspective who has done the big national shows the last few years. People that put prices on the front of the cards to be visibly seen in a showcase as you are walking around have the least amount of people at the table and dont seem to sell stuff. in parts too people pricing them so high to draw attention. I myself stop at every table. I always ask price regardless if priced on the front. your prices will determine your sales not if everything is priced to be visibly seen
You have interesting thoughts about pricing. I can see the point of drawing someone in to chat and with newer cards to not haveto keepon top of wild price swings. Personally I want to know what price range dealers are looking for. If I am am looking for a specific card, I will ask about pricing, but in general I want to know before spending my time digging through unpriced piles and boxes.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(10-27-2017, 11:30 AM)scottzoe Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm setting up as a dealer at my first show in over 20 years tomorrow at the Sons of Italy show in Braintree MA (see the Becket show calendar for address info).
I'm not so much hoping to make a Million dollars, but hoping to sell a few things in advance of attending the Shriner's show next weekend in Wilmington.

I'm a little apprehensive about how I will do. I definitely will not have something for everyone since I specialize in almost exclusively Red Sox.

I'll be bringing vintage Sox from the 30's on including a dozen or two Ted Williams from his playing days. Red Sox team sets starting from the 50's. Oddball Sox, team sets, and of course the quarter boxes!

One thing I had forgotten is how much prep time goes into getting ready, especially pricing. I'm one who will walk right past a showcase if nothing is priced in it.

So, wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes!

Scott
Best of luck Scott. Hope you have a good time at the show.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

(11-04-2017, 11:46 AM)scottzoe Wrote: The big shows are the places to see T206's. Saw more that I could count yesterday at the GBSCC show at the Shriners in Wilmington MA. Other than that show, you only see none to a handful at the smaller shows.

You have interesting thoughts about pricing. I can see the point of drawing someone in to chat and with newer cards to not haveto keepon top of wild price swings. Personally I want to know what price range dealers are looking for. If I am am looking for a specific card, I will ask about pricing, but in general I want to know before spending my time digging through unpriced piles and boxes.

Scott

I'm the same way. Unless the dealer says the cards are priced a certain way (i.e. Low Beckett price), I might think the prices are too high. I hate to keep asking the prices on cards so I'll pass them by.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.