`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What To Do?

What To Do?
So.. I'm a hit and miss collector. Totally driven by just opening packs. I have no rhyme or reason to what I throw money at, other then "getting the urge". My team is the Detroit Tigers, but I love hall of famers. I've never singled out a player to collect, nor really my team unless it's default. Even this year I said I was gonna go all in on Stadium Club to set build, but quit when next release happened.

The 40+ set length boxes I have filed are just by player and then by year. Should I just roll with that? Not sure what to do after I open and that's a problem.

RE: What To Do?
There are many ways to sort out cards, there isn't necessarily a best way or right way of doing it. It's really up to you on how you want to do it. If you plan on using the trade function here, it's easiest to list things in ORG when doing all the same set at the same time. So in that case the best way is to organize by set and then numerically by card number. However if you trade more in person, then putting cards in order by player or team makes a lot more sense. If you don't trade and just like to keep the cards for yourself, then whatever makes it easy for you is best.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

That's a conundrum. It sounds like you just like to rip and not necessarily collect. Most all of us are here because we collect something. Some it is their favorite team, some their favorite player or players, some just collect sets, some collect just minis, some collect just prospects, some just autographs, it's all relevant. What makes your eyes sparkle when you pull it out of a pack? I collect Hall of Famers so when I find one of those in a pack, I smile, My smile is bigger if it's an insert or game-used. My favorite team is the Red Sox so I have an affinity for those when I see them although I don't actively pursue them. I started out collecting every card from every set. It wasn't that hard to do in the 1970s but when it got to be too much in the 90s with too many sets for me to keep up, I decided to just collect the star players and maybe pick up the commons later on down the line. Well, I've long since given up the notion of acquiring all the commons so other than my Topps and Topps Update sets each year, I only collect the stars and HOFers. You need to decide what "floats your boat" and concentrate on that if you want to collect. There is no right or wrong answer as to what that should be. Totally up to you.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

It's true. Ripping packs is my favorite part. But I do really like having nice cards, set or not. I've never moved anything yet and always just acquired. Maybe I'm a card hoarder? lol

(10-17-2017, 07:54 PM)wpro11 Wrote: It's true. Ripping packs is my favorite part. But I do really like having nice cards, set or not. I've never moved anything yet and always just acquired. Maybe I'm a card hoarder? lol
Join the club. Smile I love the sound of ripping foil and exposing the cardboard goodies which it hides. Smile
As mentioned numerous times, I have collector ADHD. Sure, I try and collect Yankees, but as a baseball fan, I go off on tangents all too often. I always admire and respect someone with the fortitude and focus to stick to just one team, one player, one theme.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

To me a pack is like a lottery ticket. I like to rip it open and assess what I have. Did I break even? How much more are my cards worth than what I paid for the pack? It's that thrill that I enjoy when it comes to ripping. Rarely do I ever do worse than break even. When I pull $20+ worth of cards out of a $3 pack, that's a win in my book.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(10-17-2017, 09:12 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Join the club. Smile I love the sound of ripping foil and exposing the cardboard goodies which it hides. Smile
As mentioned numerous times, I have collector ADHD. Sure, I try and collect Yankees, but as a baseball fan, I go off on tangents all too often. I always admire and respect someone with the fortitude and focus to stick to just one team, one player, one theme.
One Player Guy Here Wink
[Image: 90scurio5x.jpg~original]
[Image: sades.jpg]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mnbamboozled/grif
feys/]My Griffeys[/url]
Video 
(10-18-2017, 07:02 PM)magicpapa Wrote: One Player Guy Here Wink
[Image: 90scurio5x.jpg~original]

Love that photo in the middle. Wink

Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

(10-17-2017, 07:54 PM)wpro11 Wrote: It's true. Ripping packs is my favorite part. But I do really like having nice cards, set or not. I've never moved anything yet and always just acquired. Maybe I'm a card hoarder? lol
I think we are all hoarders in one way or another, lol!

If you can't figure our what u want to do you can just trade me all of your TigersSmile

Some people do bulk sales by team for 5 or 10 cents a card. It's a way to move out a bunch of cards you don't care about. Also a lot of guys do autographs for spring training and may want recent cards of guys on multiple teams.

I sort my cards alphabetically so it's easy to access if anybody wants to trade for or buy a certain player, also easy to pull the cards when I have the team rosters for autographs for spring training, minor league season, etc.