`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Was this a fair replacement from Topps?

Was this a fair replacement from Topps?
A few weeks ago I submitted a request to Topps to send me a replacement for my Heritage dual auto card of Billy Williams and Andrew Dawson. Well I finally got the replacement cards. A 2013 Bowman Clint Frazier Draft Pick AUTO and a 2016 Scouting Report patch relic of Eric Hosmer. Please note that I already had the 2013 Bowman Draft pick Frazier auto in my PC. Was it a fair swap or not. Any response will be appreciated. I was not looking for the moon. Just maybe a HOF to replace the 2 HOF's.

RE: Was this a fair replacement from Topps?
I dont think it was fair. The heritage dual autos have a pretty good premium.

The Frazier is nice, but not as nice as the Dawson/Williams dual auto would've been. The dual auto would've had a resell value between $50-$100. The Frazier is selling for $50 right now. The Hosmer is more of a throw-in as it's resale value is minimal. So you definitely got the low side of value for the dual auto.
That being said, the Frazier has greater potential for dramatic increase in value (as well as dramatic decrease), while the dual auto would be a fairly steady value. Thus the Frazier is a riskier card to own, when it comes to value.
All that being said, a prospect collector would prefer the Frazier, while a HOF collector would prefer the dual Cubs auto.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(10-10-2017, 11:19 PM)djohn Wrote: The Frazier is nice, but not as nice as the Dawson/Williams dual auto would've been. The dual auto would've had a resell value between $50-$100. The Frazier is selling for $50 right now. The Hosmer is more of a throw-in as it's resale value is minimal. So you definitely got the low side of value for the dual auto.
That being said, the Frazier has greater potential for dramatic increase in value (as well as dramatic decrease), while the dual auto would be a fairly steady value. Thus the Frazier is a riskier card to own, when it comes to value.
All that being said, a prospect collector would prefer the Frazier, while a HOF collector would prefer the dual Cubs auto.
Agreed. Not a fair deal in today's marketplace, but the upside could be amazing. If Clint has a successful year next season, your card could jump 10X in value. If he turns out to be the next Judge, Bellinger, etc. it could be the best replacement Topps ever made. I'd keep it and ask for another auto card in addition. You were supposed to get 2 autos on one card. I think 2 autos should replace it.
Good Luck
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I don't think it was fair. Should have go at least a similar HOF auto

Thanks for the response. I seem to agree with many of you. I would always like to have a HOF auto in my PC and 2 would have been even better. Does anybody remember a pitcher for the Yankees by the name of Brien Taylor and all the hype that surrounded his card in the 90's. I will hold on to the Frazier and see what happens next year. Thanks again for all of your comments.

Topps has a monopoly and their quality control has gone way down hill! Bring back Fleer, Pinnacle, and real Donruss!!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(10-11-2017, 03:36 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: Topps has a monopoly and their quality control has gone way down hill! Bring back Fleer, Pinnacle, and real Donruss!!
Replace Topps with Panini and you've got the perfect post on the football forums!

OP: As a Chicago fan, the original would be have been preferable in my book but you may wind up the better end of the deal with the Frazier. Hosmer is a weird add, you'd think they would have at least gotten you a Cubs player. I'd bet there was a Shawon Dunston or Kerry Wood card kicking around somewhere they could have added.

(10-11-2017, 07:07 PM)jplarson Wrote: Replace Topps with Panini and you've got the perfect post on the football forums!

...or basketball, but yeah Panini isn't really any better. None of these companies should have monopolies and yet somehow they do.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

When you feel the need to ask a public forum, you already know the answer, but I will confirm: No, Topps does not generally give fair replacements, in my experience. When they're the only game in town, they don't have to. What will you do, take your business elsewhere? They know you can't. It's too bad, really. They used to be a worthwhile representative of the hobby when we had choices between them and other companies.
(10-11-2017, 03:36 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: Topps has a monopoly and their quality control has gone way down hill! Bring back Fleer, Pinnacle, and real Donruss!!
+1
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.