`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Players Weekend"

"Players Weekend"
So I landed tickets for this Sunday's Dodgers game, and then I found out that this will be the "players weekend" where they wear a bunch of ridiculous crap for uniforms and pretty much make a joke out the game. Am I the only one who thinks this is bush league or looks like a cheap minor league gimmick? How about a fan weekend where prices are discounted and the players are more accessible before and after the game. This just seems so cheesy as pennant races are heating up and many teams are fighting for playoff spots. C'mon MLB, you're better than this, this isn't the XFL. What do the rest of you baseball fans think?
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

RE: "Players Weekend"
They did this in Boston recently - I didn't care for it - but it really didn't impact the game at all. Just gave the announcers stupid stuff to talk about.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Check Out My Cards
-------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to agree. I'm old school so part of the atmosphere of the game is the uniforms and I'd prefer to see the players in standard uniforms. Much like the NFL with those goofy color schemes they wear for Thursday night games.

Not a fan of it. But it's all about $$$

The players for the most part are all buying in on it. They look like they are having fun with the nicknames. Some who don't have a nickname on their jerseys tried but their choices were not allowed so they just went with their names

I love the uniforms and wouldn't mind seeing some teams not all but some incorporate them into their regular rotation.

Yankees I like just because it's different and adds some color to the bland grey uni's.

Reds look slick also

Something else for fans to buy?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Watching the Angels and Astros game last night I found myself weirdly distracted by some of the Astros players socks. They were odd mismatched colors. Certainly not standard issue. Seeing Jose Altuve I just kept thinking Oompa Loompa.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

I think the nicknames was a cool variation but I didn't realize they were doing it all weekend and I didn't realize it was extended to uniform designs, cleats and bats. That's a bit too much in my opinion. I get that the players want to break up the monotony of game after game after game after game . . . but I think they took it a bit too far. Too clownish with all the colors. I can't see Stan Musial, Ted Williams or Willie Mays walking to the plate with multi colored bats and cleats. Then again I can't picture any of them with beards down to their collar either. The times they are a changin'.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I'm guessing all of you who are opposed to this weekend's events also hate bat flips and all the flair the game has in this era?

I don't mind it and think it's a pretty cool thing for the game and the players. Maybe I'm just younger and don't care as much with all the changes in the game of late.
My Sports Card Album
-Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector
-Texas Longhorns/Miami Hurricanes/Virginia Tech Hokies/Virginia Cavaliers GU/AU - college uni
-Current Redskins/Braves GU/AU