`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Nothing But The "Essensa"ls to the Museum!

Adding Nothing But The "Essensa"ls to the Museum!
So this just came in today, and though I didn't expect to add a piece, I wasn't complaining when I got the chance to add this to the museum this afternoon. As usual, if you like what we are doing with the museum project, give Bruce C. Goaltending Museum a like here on Facebook!

Born on January 14, 1965 in Toronto, Ontario, Bob Essensa was a standout goaltender of Michigan State University. Though drafted by Winnipeg 69th overall in 1983, Essensa chose to complete four years of University before transitioning to the pro ranks in 1987-88 with the Moncton Hawks of the AHL. The following season, after spending the majority of the year in the minors, Essensa got his chance with Winnipeg. On February 13, 1989, he was given the start in goal and recorded a 2-2 tie against Detroit. From there, he ended up appearing in 20 NHL games that season. In the period from 1990-91 until the 1993-94 season, Essensa had become the starter of the Jets, before being traded to the Red Wings in 1993-94. After spending the next two seasons in the IHL, Essensa was acquired by the Edmonton Oilers where appeared consistently as a back-up goaltender, eventually being deemed expendable after the acquisition of Tommy Salo in 1999. From then on, Essensa assumed a back-up role with the Coyotes in 1999-00, the Canucks in 2000-01, and the Buffalo Sabres in 2001-02. He then retired from play, taking up coaching. As goaltending coach of the Boston Bruins, he was even recalled as an emergency back-up by the club in 2014-15.

In 446 NHL games, Essensa recorded a 173-176-47 record with 18 shutouts, 15 assists, a 3.15GAA, and a 0.895% save average. In a further 16 post-season games, Bob Essensa recorded a 4-9 record with a 3.54GAA and a 0.876% save average.

The piece you are looking at right now is a 1998-99 Edmonton Oilers Away Set 3 jersey worn by Bob Essensa. Exact games I do not know at the moment, however it was very likely used in his last game played as an Edmonton Oiler and possibly one additional game. Wear is light with some puck marks on the crest, rear nameplate and left sleeve, as well as some chafe marks.

Acquired From: David Martel, features Oilers Hem Stamp in the jersey

Dates of Game Use:
*March 13, 1999 v St. Louis (25-31, 6-4L)
April 3, 1999 v Colorado (19-23, 5-2L)
*Possibly

Photomatched: Not yet

[Image: essensa1_zpsagvq1uzc.jpg]

[Image: essensa2_zpst0fkxci1.jpg]

[Image: essensa3_zpsjtsfnmq3.jpg]

[Image: essensa4_zpsemxvljjm.jpg]

[Image: essensa5_zpsegmqpjik.jpg]

[Image: essensa6_zpsgpl062d0.jpg]

[Image: essensa7_zpsu0oaogc5.jpg]