`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will be the next big change in collecting?

What will be the next big change in collecting?
What do you all believe will be the next big change for collecting? I would like to see local card shows make a comeback. There's something about being there. Its the talking to dealers and collectors face to face, going through boxes, and opening packs. It cant be substituted with the Internet.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

RE: What will be the next big change in collecting?
I hope it's a return to real competition and imagination with multiple companies getting licences. panini makes some great product, my favorite was UD
no org, please do not send trade requests

(08-13-2017, 11:48 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: What do you all believe will be the next big change for collecting? I would like to see local card shows make a comeback. There's something about being there. Its the talking to dealers and collectors face to face, going through boxes, and opening packs. It cant be substituted with the Internet.

There's nearly weekly shows here in the Twin Cities area.
Is this thing on?

(08-14-2017, 01:25 AM)michaelstepper Wrote: I hope it's a return to real competition and imagination with multiple companies getting licences. panini makes some great product, my favorite was UD
I agree. That's what the industry needs most. The collecting boom came when there was competition and many sets considered by many to be landmarks happened because of competition. Some will say they have competition with electronics, but iti doesn't compare to having strong competition within the same industry.

(08-14-2017, 07:37 AM)jhyde77 Wrote: I agree. That's what the industry needs most. The collecting boom came when there was competition and many sets considered by many to be landmarks happened because of competition. Some will say they have competition with electronics, but iti doesn't compare to having strong competition within the same industry.
There needs to be more of less if that makes sense. As in There needs to be a couple of companies making fewer sets. I'd like to see Topps and panini be able to put out about 4 releases each a year at most. (and you could kinda milk that by breaking them into series like is already done with Topps base)

Is this thing on?

(08-14-2017, 08:53 AM)shivelycore Wrote: There needs to be more of less if that makes sense. As in There needs to be a couple of companies making fewer sets. I'd like to see Topps and panini be able to put out about 4 releases each a year at most. (and you could kinda milk that by breaking them into series like is already done with Topps base)
I agree to a point. 4 releases would not be enough though. There are too many types of products and 4 would not be able to cater to everyone. You would probably need at least 6-8 products and with 3 companies we would basically be in the same place but better off.

I hope I am wrong, but I can easily see a trend toward all-hits, all the time, so that the base card sets go away entirely. Like I said, I certainly do not like the possibility but there are already 65%-80% of products in this format. What would stop Topps and Panini from losing their current base card sets (Opening Day, Optic, Gypsy Queen, Archives, Heritage, Rookies & Stars, Series 1 & 2, A & G, Bowman)? Greed is not going to slow down...

This wont be the next thing. But I think it would be cool if you could open a pack, scan the card with smart glasses, and have the card added to your checklist. Ha ha. And afterwards, there could be a submit box break to Beckett forum bottom. I know it sounds lazy, but it would be cool to have that checklist automated. And maybe it could bring back set collecting and an appreciation for commons.

(08-14-2017, 03:44 PM)pjrussell529 Wrote: I agree to a point. 4 releases would not be enough though. There are too many types of products and 4 would not be able to cater to everyone. You would probably need at least 6-8 products and with 3 companies we would basically be in the same place but better off.
If you do series like i mentions you stretch that into 8-12 releases technically. For example you collapse Gypsy Queen, Archives and Ginter into one release of three series. You Take Museum, Tribute and Strata and collapse them into a high end with series 1, 2, and 3. You make Chrome an insert series in the Topps Base release (Series 1,2 and Update) Then you have Bowman. It works. Plus I feel like that would actually increase sales of some things from set collectors that want to complete things. They are buying all 3 releases instead of just one of them. It at elast makes the 12 releases a year feel like less while maintaining the status quo and would probably cut back on the glut of cards for one particular player in a year.

Is this thing on?

(08-15-2017, 08:45 AM)jhyde77 Wrote: This wont be the next thing. But I think it would be cool if you could open a pack, scan the card with smart glasses, and have the card added to your checklist. Ha ha. And afterwards, there could be a submit box break to Beckett forum bottom. I know it sounds lazy, but it would be cool to have that checklist automated. And maybe it could bring back set collecting and an appreciation for commons.
Ha! As a set collector, I really like your futuristic idea. It is quite simple to add base if you have every card in the set, but when you need a few here and there it gets quite tedious, or even worse if you have dupes you want to trade away. I think it would be fantastic to make it easier!