`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Surface Subgrade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2.5
0%
0 0%
3-4.5
0%
0 0%
5-5.5
66.67%
2 66.67%
6-6.5
33.33%
1 33.33%
7-7.5
0%
0 0%
8+
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on surface condition?

Thoughts on surface condition?
I recently picked up a 1999 Topps Finest Gold Refractor Champ Bailey with a PSA 5. I knew full well it was graded weak but I couldn't tell at first glance what may have lead to a drop. I figured with the peel still on that there were some problems with that.

I've got the card in hand now and it's quite handsome. I can see on the front near Bailey and Redskins where the peel is coming up.

I'm not super concerned about that. I peel all my Finest cards before subbing so I would crack, peel, and submit. However on the back I did see some indentions on the surface. From scans it can be seen but holding it at an angle shows something akin to finger nail indents:

Towards the top left another straight indention like you might find if the card were in a 9-card sleeve and resting on a small bit of the binder with too much weight on top:

Assuming after peeling the card there are no surface defects, I'm curious what people think this card may receive for a surface grade with the imperfections on the back. Personally I'd be willing to submit for grading if I figured the overall grade came back with a 7, figuring the surface subgrade at worst would be a 6 and the rest 9.5s or better.

RE: Thoughts on surface condition?
I never thought about that..... do they actually grade the film? .... or is that grade because of the 3 scratches you pointed out. I honestly don't know if the film affects the grade or not or what the grade would be if the film was peeled off.... lol

Very nice card by the way!

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(07-28-2017, 08:08 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: I never thought about that..... do they actually grade the film? ....

I know Beckett grades the film which is typically why surface grades suffer when the peel is left on, since Topps intended for them to be peeled thus not a ton of focus was put on surface quality. I figured PSA graded the front poorly because of the peel but I'm not sure how much weight was put into the back.

Also thanks!

I always assumed surface was graded by the front of the card, in which case you'd be good. But maybe I just never thought about the backs as I never look at them lol.

Interesting.

I kind of wish that the protective coatings/peels would have become more commonplace in the hobby. I really thought it was a great idea.

That said, I never used to take the peel off of any of mine anyway. (Except for Mystery Finest cards because you'd have no idea what you had otherwise!)
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel