`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buybacks are Garbage

Buybacks are Garbage
Honestly, I'd rather have the additional Bowman Prospect card of someone that may or may not become something. These 70th Anniversary cards are absolute trash.

[Image: 20170617_212323_zpsnomnhaef.jpg]
Kepler

RE: Buybacks are Garbage
... but ... but ... but ... they're stamped! Doesn't THAT make them ultra cool and collectible once more????
I'd actually be okay with one less card than getting a buyback B S card!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Maybe the kids think they're cool?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

What I hate most about the buyback cards is that they are all common cards and there is no way of knowing how many of any particular card was inserted. It would be much better if they only had star cards and added serial numbering to the buyback stamp.
The funny thing is that I remember in 1991 when Topps inserted "buyback" cards without any stamping and people went nuts buying boxes and cases trying to find them. The few that I saw or heard about being pulled were always crappy commons, but it didn't stop people from buying the packs to search for more. I always wondered if anyone ever pulled the Mantle rookie or any of the other huge valued cards that were supposedly inserted. Note, I believe the older cards that were bigger than modern cards were actually the first redemption cards. Makes me wonder if someone opened a box and found a redemption for one of those high dollar cards whether Topps put an expiration date on the redemption or would have to actually send out the card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

In both of the only two packs of series 2 that I've opened (so far), I got a 1989 Ken Patterson buyback.

If you come across any Dustin Pedroia stamped buybacks, I'll take them off your hands. I've only seen two of his so far.
Sets: 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones

I am not a fan of buybacks and a big reason for that is the cards that are being bought back to insert in to packs. The OP's post includes Jack Cust and Dan Johnson cards, two players who each spent 10 years in the league on 6 teams each and most of the time was in the minors, and Steve Carter, a guy who had 21 at-bats in his 2 year career. How does Topps consider this "Additional Value"?

If companies insist on including buyback cards they should at least limit the buybacks to semi stars or better. It would be better if they limited buybacks to just the top cards of superstars/HOFers and instead of packing them out in every box make them a case hit.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(06-18-2017, 04:40 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: I am not a fan of buybacks and a big reason for that is the cards that are being bought back to insert in to packs. The OP's post includes Jack Cust and Dan Johnson cards, two players who each spent 10 years in the league on 6 teams each and most of the time was in the minors, and Steve Carter, a guy who had 21 at-bats in his 2 year career. How does Topps consider this "Additional Value"?

If companies insist on including buyback cards they should at least limit the buybacks to semi stars or better. It would be better if they limited buybacks to just the top cards of superstars/HOFers and instead of packing them out in every box make them a case hit.
Exactly. I don't, at least in theory, hate the idea of the buyback - if, like you said, it's of semi-stars, stars, or even slight better than marginal players. Hell, I'd even be OK with common vintage cards as the buyback "hits."

But, yeah, a Steve Carter '91 Bowman - stamped or not - is still a Steve Carter '91 Bowman.

Putting a stamp on a 1-cent card, maybe turns it into a 2-cent card. In that scenario, I'd rather have a 10th copy of a Tyler Jay BPP card.
Kepler

I hate those cards as well as the numerous reprints Topps seems to be doing. Do you really need to produce reprints of Mike Trout rookie cards?

Bowman shouldn't have a 70th anniversary stamp, there's only been a Bowman brand for about half as many years...

I tend to think of buybacks and reprints as being about the same.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.