`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't they put the name of the A's mascot on the mascot card?
Rainbow 
Why don't they put the name of the A's mascot on the mascot card?
The only time they put his name Stomper on the card was back in 2007 now he is just mentioned as mascot.

I also noticed that for the 2016 and 2017 mascot cards they used the same exact photograph of him.

2016 mascot card:

[Image: 124933-8419457Fr.jpg]

2017 mascot card:

[Image: 148166-9560960Fr.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Why don't they put the name of the A's mascot on the mascot card?
Hey, picture recycling is IN, dude. Go Green (and Gold) ... Smile
Stomper is an Elephant, I'll assume (he needs a longer trunk, he looks too much like chuckle cheese with that stumpy snout)... just like the Elephant on the A's uni.?
Any idea why the mascot is an Elephant? Just curious.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Why don't they put the name of the A's mascot on the mascot card?
(06-17-2017, 12:17 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Any idea why the mascot is an Elephant? Just curious.

Yea it was due to a quote John McGraw said in the early 1900s.

From wikipedia:

After New York Giants manager John McGraw told reporters that Philadelphia manufacturer Benjamin Shibe, who owned the controlling interest in the new team, had a "white elephant on his hands", team manager Connie Mack defiantly adopted the white elephant as the team mascot, and presented McGraw with a stuffed toy elephant at the start of the 1905 World Series. McGraw and Mack had known each other for years, and McGraw accepted it graciously. By 1909, the A's were wearing an elephant logo on their sweaters, and in 1918 it turned up on the regular uniform jersey for the first time. Over the years the elephant has appeared in several different colors. It is currently white.

Interestingly enough the mascot was also a mule in the 1960s.

In 1963, when the A's were located in Kansas City, then owner Charlie Finley changed the team mascot from an elephant to a Missouri mule.