`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rare parallels of base issue sets?

Rare parallels of base issue sets?
Going to cross post this in the other sports forums, too, but...

I'm not talking about parallels inserted in base card packs. I'm talking about sets that were available COMPLETELY on their own.

Sets like:
1) 1991 Topps Desert Shield Baseball
2) 1977 Topps Mexican Football
3) 1975 Topps Mini Baseball

All of those had their own packs, for example.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others I don't know about. I just found out about the Topps Mexican football set only about 2 years ago.

Suggestions for a collector interested in similar sets?

Thanks!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Rare or oddball sets?
I'm a big fan of the topps Tiffany sets.....
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Yeah, those are all parallel sets. I like the true oddball sets like food issues, Broders, playing cards, stickers, stamps, stuff like that, low value, unusual cards.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(06-09-2017, 07:25 AM)zeprock Wrote: Yeah, those are all parallel sets. I like the true oddball sets like food issues, Broders, playing cards, stickers, stamps, stuff like that, low value, unusual cards.

Aye, I've edited the topic to reflect that. Thanks.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Rare parallels of base issue sets?
There are the Venezuelan Topps sets and of course some of the OPee Chee sets from Canada mirror the Topps set of the same year
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

(06-12-2017, 10:47 AM)scottbdoug Wrote: There are the Venezuelan Topps sets and of course some of the OPee Chee sets from Canada mirror the Topps set of the same year
O-Pee-Chee is interesting as is the 1980s Leaf cards. The vast majority of the cards are the same, with just the O-Pee-Chee logo instead of the Topps logo (same goes for the Donruss vs Leaf cards) however in both cases sometimes the sets aren't the same number of cards or have different pictures for some players.
1992 Topps Gold Winners were an interesting parallel set. The cards came as a factory set or in packs, but could only be attained by sending in a redemption card from the regular 1992 Topps packs.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

One parallel set I liked was the 1997 Ultra Gold Medallion Edition set which featured different photos than the base Ultra cards that year.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(06-13-2017, 02:09 PM)zeprock Wrote: One parallel set I liked was the 1997 Ultra Gold Medallion Edition set which featured different photos than the base Ultra cards that year.
I remember those zep. They are pretty cards and like you said had a different photo.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Can't forget about the 1993 and 1994 Stadium Club 1st Day Issue parallel sets!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

(06-09-2017, 07:25 AM)zeprock Wrote: Yeah, those are all parallel sets. I like the true oddball sets like food issues, Broders, playing cards, stickers, stamps, stuff like that, low value, unusual cards.
And they're actually hard to find! Not like now when Topps prints 10+ sets of basically the same thing and puts them all in the same packages.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.