`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Aaron Judge bowman chrome

2013 Aaron Judge bowman chrome
I was surfing ebay to get a little rest from pricing and sorting my cards tonight. As you can all imagine, when I saw the name Aaron Judge, I had to take a look. The cards were 2013 Bowman chrome refractor autos. One was listed for 3999.99 and the other was listed for 2799.99.

Wow, wish I had a few of those cards. Since I'm a Yankee fan, I don't want to jinx them, so I hope he keeps doing really good, or those cards will plummet.

What's everyone else's view??

Brian
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

RE: 2013 Aaron Judge bowman chrome
What generally happens to pre-rookie cards three to five years after the player finally makes the majors and does well? Of course they plummet! The amount of hype will keep prices high long enough for prospectors to cash out.

I'm not into MLB-licensed pre-rookies, I prefer his 2017 issues (flagship chrome) or 2013 Leaf/Panini with the real (or no) jersey and logos.

Since you brought up money: When thinking of investment value it's important to remove all personal feelings for the player otherwise you're completely guaranteed to lose money. The other way to save money is to start buying three to five years after the player cracks the bigs - this is when I'd recommend buying into Judge, assuming he's still playing... ya never know.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(05-01-2017, 11:01 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: What generally happens to pre-rookie cards three to five years after the player finally makes the majors and does well? Of course they plummet! The amount of hype will keep prices high long enough for prospectors to cash out.
I'm not into MLB-licensed pre-rookies, I prefer his 2017 issues (flagship chrome) or 2013 Leaf/Panini with the real (or no) jersey and logos.
Since you brought up money: When thinking of investment value it's important to remove all personal feelings for the player otherwise you're completely guaranteed to lose money. The other way to save money is to start buying three to five years after the player cracks the bigs - this is when I'd recommend buying into Judge, assuming he's still playing... ya never know.
There's always lotsa hype and opportunistic people trying to profit off the hype. Judge had a very respectful April and certainly lived up to his hype the past 20+ games. Sustainable? Who knows. One muscle strain, one bad series, 2nd time through the American League, etc. everything can change. I'm always cautiously optimistic when it comes to young Yankee prospects, and would love to see the beginnings of the next 'Core Four" but its hard to catch lightning in a bottle and superstars aren't as common as often as the word is misused. Time will tell and hopefully Judge pans out .... but $3K for a bowman pre-rookie seems like someone is trying to sucker an unsuspecting newbie collector into a ignorant impulse buy.

I've had my share of prospecting and nothing every turns out the way i planned. It's a gamble at best. The only prospects that lived up to their hype so far are Trout & Harper. Everyone else cooled off, never got hot, or never made it outta the minors.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-02-2017, 06:33 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: ...I've had my share of prospecting and nothing every turns out the way i planned. It's a gamble at best. The only prospects that lived up to their hype so far are Trout & Harper. Everyone else cooled off, never got hot, or never made it outta the minors.
Sure, I'm with you. The stronger the hype, the longer high prices are supported by the marketplace even when the player is in decline... this "after" period is when the real profit is made: everyone's "convinced" the player will work his way through his troubles even though logic says he probably won't. (Common excuses: "he's only xx years old"; "the season has just begun"; "all players slump"; "he's on my favorite team"; etc. etc. etc.)

If one really wants to play, one hasta know when to fold 'em...although it's usually a sucker's bet to begin with.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

key word is listed for not sold for. Folks can ask the moon and stars but doesn't mean they gonna get it

IMO Judge is going to be a great player. I think next year the prices of his cards will go down since it will not be his Rookie year.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Trout, Harper, and Bryant aren't RC's anymore and they certainly haven't dropped.

Yes I know to early to compare but he has the Yankee factor those 3 don't. I can see a slight drop but anyone expecting cards to be 50% or more less than they are now are going to be greatly dissapointed

(05-04-2017, 09:28 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Trout, Harper, and Bryant aren't RC's anymore and they certainly haven't dropped.

Yes I know to early to compare but he has the Yankee factor those 3 don't. I can see a slight drop but anyone expecting cards to be 50% or more less than they are now are going to be greatly dissapointed
Untrue on Bryant actually. "Some" of his card values did drop between the end of year 1 and middle of year 2. If you remember 2016, it took him like 20 games to hit a dinger. He also ended 2015 (playoffs and end of season) in somewhat of a dry spell. You could get his auto's and RC's very reasonably priced at the time....they had dropped off some since initial market hype. Especially the Panini issued stuff.

If Trout had a drop I think it was last year.....but you are pretty much right on him.

Harper definitely had a buying opportunity too. I think it was a last year but maybe the year before? There was a time there where I saw a lot more of his stuff in people available trade as his value was slipping but his book prices remained high, so people tried to trade on those book prices while they remained up (Beckett was slow to recognize the market...)
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info