`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guaranteed Auto or Possible Valued Auto?

Guaranteed Auto or Possible Valued Auto?
Recently I sent cards to COMC for sale and noticed how many low-end autos there are on that site. Reason? Because every hobby product now guarantees an auto or two, which means that the card companies pay every Tom, Dick or Harry some money to sign a ton of stickers or cards.

I am curious to see how many of you would continue to buy the same hobby products if instead of guaranteeing an auto or two inside, there would be 1 of 4 or 1 of 5 boxes with a valuable auto inside.

Me? I would much prefer the latter. Lately I had an online box break that gave me an auto of Jim Abbott. I could care less about it; give me a parallel of a star any day of the week.

RE: Guaranteed Auto or Possible Valued Auto?
I guess I would rather have 1 really, really good auto rather than all of the no names who have been signing. I don't know how many scrub autographs I have and have had around here. They're not worth much, as I have had to get rid of some for $1.25 each. So yes, I'd rather have a good one.

(04-04-2017, 02:07 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Recently I sent cards to COMC for sale and noticed how many low-end autos there are on that site. Reason? Because every hobby product now guarantees an auto or two, which means that the card companies pay every Tom, Dick or Harry some money to sign a ton of stickers or cards.

I am curious to see how many of you would continue to buy the same hobby products if instead of guaranteeing an auto or two inside, there would be 1 of 4 or 1 of 5 boxes with a valuable auto inside.

Me? I would much prefer the latter. Lately I had an online box break that gave me an auto of Jim Abbott. I could care less about it; give me a parallel of a star any day of the week.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I am fine with autos being 1 in 5 boxes or so, however I would like to see those autos be of quality players and not low-end scrubs. Also, if the autos are going to be tougher to pull, then the box/pack prices need to drop a little. What sucks is paying $100 for a box, and the hits being scrubs that sell for $1 each.
Also, something to consider, with the increase in the quantity of autographs each player signs the value for an autographed card of the player drops. There are tons of examples of this, like Pete Rose after signing a ton of cards for Leaf, or similarly Cal Ripken after his signing spree with Leaf. It's really noticeable in basketball, where there have been some signers that didn't sign for years and then all of a sudden signed for a company and they dumped a ton of their autos on the market and thus the price dropped considerably. Examples being John Stockton and more recently Patrick Ewing, even Michael Jordan autos have been dropping in value (aside from ones from his playing days, or ones from Upper Deck that actually show him as a Chicago Bull).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

What I'm hearing is that autos have now become just like any other kind of insert or parallel - hard to disagree with this.

It's kind of like autos are for regular people and for people who appreciate the smaller aspects of collecting.

Hard not to think all of today's pricier autos will decrease in value just like inserts and low #'d parallels did from a dozen years ago.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

I could actually use the Abbott auto for my Michigan PC, please let me know if you're up for trading it.

Thanks!

RJ

(04-05-2017, 04:32 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I could actually use the Abbott auto for my Michigan PC, please let me know if you're up for trading it.

Thanks!

RJ
Wow, you are the 3rd to ask for it. Sorry, it is already traded. Funny, I had it in my Org for over 45 days, had it ready to ship to COMC, and then a simple reference to it brought 3 offers...what a deal!

I would be fine with autos being seeded less if they were autographs of players who are on the field every day. I really don't want to bust a box and pull an autograph of a 36-year old career minor leaguer from the Marlins Single-A team.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona