`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Pulling a Gretzky 'Autograph' Is Not a Joyous Affair

When Pulling a Gretzky 'Autograph' Is Not a Joyous Affair
So I went to my local shop today for supplies and noticed they got a lot of different boxes in stock that they did not have last time.

I spotted a box of 1999-00 UD Ovation, an attractive little product I have positive memories of from my youth. Plus with the potential for an autograph or game used card, there wasn't much to lose.

So the third to last pack seemed very promising when I opened it up from the back first revealing the congratulatory message. Ooohhh....I start to get excited:

[Image: 20170322_132312_zpsmlm7dge7.jpg]

As I turn over the card expecting to see the stunning Gretzky autograph I am so used to seeing, this 'congratulations' turns into a middle finger at me as this is revealed:

[Image: 20170322_132317_zps3xl29iab.jpg]

A redemption expired in 2000. Ouch!

I am well aware there is an inherent risk in purchasing older product, but come on, that one was mean since it looked like the completed card, only with the redemption sticker on the front.

A 'Hot box' of 2016-17 Showcase made up for it a little bit I guess?

[Image: 20170322_132306_zpso6j9rj6g.jpg]

Rookie autos of Provorov, Dvorak, Fasching, and Kapanen plus a Matthews rookie #/499 is good for me. Plus a Seguin /25 is also nothing to cry about.

Nothing's for trade! If they enter the sale market, they'll be up on that particular e website.

RE: When Pulling a Gretzky 'Autograph' Is Not a Joyous Affair
ouch on the gretz

Oh man that is unfortunate. Glad the Fleer Showcase made up for it a bit (not really compared to the Gretzky but still a decent box) with the 4 autos. I bought a 2nd box of it tonight and also got a hot box with 4 autos.

Too bad on The Great One. I'm glad you have a good attitude about it.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

So I guess it wasn't so bad. After following the advice of many members on here I listed it on the "e"vil site and got $103.50 for it on auction. And I thought I was happy enough when it was only at $20 lol

(03-29-2017, 09:53 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: So I guess it wasn't so bad. After following the advice of many members on here I listed it on the "e"vil site and got $103.50 for it on auction. And I thought I was happy enough when it was only at $20 lol
well I'm not surprised you made that listing sound great, really sold it to them, honestly I was Impressed when it was at 15usd, amazing you went that high..... crazy stuff lol

You could've contacted UD and they might have gave you a gretzky auto for that redemption. I bought and expired one at a show in a $1 box years ago I gave it a shot and ended up with the exact card the redemption was for a $400 or $500 Gretzky Jersey Auto. So it could've been worth trying to contact them in case it happens again