`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real bummer to see an uncut sheet chopped up

Real bummer to see an uncut sheet chopped up
I was cruising eBay and noticed a bunch of 1999 Finest refractor "proofs". Looking it over, I can see that they all came from a single uncut sheet that someone chopped up. I can see the edge pieces they left the margins on the cards and for all the middles they left 2 cards together...

A real shame since that's something I would have pursued hard and had framed in my office. What are other people's thoughts on cutting up uncut sheets?

RE: Real bummer to see an uncut sheet chopped up
Seems a waste if they don't do it right...could mess up the card edges and centering, which with my OCD tendencies, even if they aren't graded, would drive me nuts lol

I have a few uncut sheets, and while they are not currently displayed I would never consider cutting them up. Cutting them up and then reselling them as proofs is even more annoying.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

That is a bummer, definitely would have been a beautiful display as a complete sheet.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(03-10-2017, 06:45 PM)djohn Wrote: Cutting them up and then reselling them as proofs is even more annoying.
Then having them graded is even worse........

Dishonest and wrong .... They are not proofs .... If they were proofs who's proofing them 26 years after release ... Because we know they weren't proofs back then .... If it's not cut at the factory then I consider all the individual cards as a damaged sheet Wink

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(03-10-2017, 03:59 AM)jplarson Wrote: A real shame since that's something I would have pursued hard and had framed in my office. What are other people's thoughts on cutting up uncut sheets?
As a player collector, I like uncut sheets. In fact I have hundreds with Mark Brunell on them. That said, it is one of the worst items to buy! Regardless of purchase price (auction or BIN, high or low), getting said sheet from seller to buyer is an extremely worrisome wait.

1) If seller calculated right, shipping should be expensive - at least $20. If seller miscalculated, good luck with packaging.

2) Most sheets can NOT be rolled due to the thickness, sensitive coatings, etc as creases are bound to happen when shipped this way. Correct way to ship is flat, but finding sturdy cardboard is hard to come by and most sellers really don't get a @!^%& how it sent. Consequently, damaged corners happen ALL the time making a "prized" piece become a lot less exciting.

3) Great now you got it, what do you do with it? Unlike a card, most sheets can't fit in a toploader (although there are 2 x 3 ft ones!) and getting it framed is going to cost MORE $$$! Storage...well good luck finding space.

In the end, I understand why the seller cuts it up. Only a small minority will even look at a full sheet. However, player collectors will buy "proofs" because it budget friendly making it much more profitable and easier to sell.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

It's up to the owner what happens to it. I'm listening to a Beach Boys record right now that some collectors would freak about if they knew I even cracked the cellophane. I want to listen to it, not look at it. But since I bought it, I can do that. It just makes the others more rare.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(03-19-2017, 05:09 PM)jonathani Wrote: It's up to the owner what happens to it. I'm listening to a Beach Boys record right now that some collectors would freak about if they knew I even cracked the cellophane. I want to listen to it, not look at it. But since I bought it, I can do that. It just makes the others more rare.
Its not even a close comparison .... those could not be further ... your scenario just creates a "used" album from a sealed one ... not a "counterfeit" card from a whole sheet

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's