Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps "RC"

RE: Topps "RC"
(02-01-2017, 02:21 AM)scottbdoug Wrote: a first card is not a minor league card
Does it matter if they are wearing a MLB uniform or if it's photoshoped onto the player?

Personally that's what I hate about Bowman Draft. Not one of the draft pick cards are in those MLB uniforms. Draft is in June and the product comes out before the next spring training. Unless they fast track it to the majors they are not going to wear a MLB uniform.

IMO it is more important for flippers and dealers to know which card is a players "rookie card". If you collect a player it most likely doesn't matter.

(02-01-2017, 02:21 AM)scottbdoug Wrote: a first card is not a minor league card
sure it is over 99% of the time, "first Card" has nothing to do with license or league, its just that... a player's first card.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(02-01-2017, 09:45 AM)oneofakindcards Wrote: sure it is over 99% of the time, "first Card" has nothing to do with license or league, its just that... a player's first card.
okay then, im not here to argue with you, let me be specific, i want the first card of a player that comes from a mainstream set from a mainstream manufacturer that is not in a minor league set. If it happens to also be considered hie rookie card so be it, if it happens to be an insert, which rarely happens but occasionally a player gets an insert in a set before a regular base card of him is issued, then i want that card.

most who collect first cards agree with this way of thinking, its not like it is something new to define its been around since before rookie cards were termed and brought into the lexicon. the insert idea is fairly recent (since the 90s) and others prefer to exclude them but not many.

so... a first card, not in minor league set, made by one of the mainstream manufacturers in one of their regular sets.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

so griffey played a game in Seattle before his cards were produced? frank thomas? chipper jones?
(01-30-2017, 04:23 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: The problem is that Topps got "desperate" enough to start putting MLB logos on pre-MLB players. Topps decided to change the game, the lingo needs to change with it.

Just easier to think of anything before the RC as 'pre-rookie cards' or PRCs. Vintage RCs never showed pre-MLB players, only today's "modern" cards show them.

"a first card, not in minor league set, made by one of the mainstream manufacturers in one of their regular sets."

Sure, simply put, you mean the "first MLB logo card".

I'm not arguing at all, it's just completely fascinating to see how so many consciously or unconsciously apply terms, sometimes in an attempt to maximize "value" from their point of view by eliminating the minor leagues entirely which, apparently everyone hates, LOL. Clearly, the way you were applying "first cards" was meant to disregard and avoid the minor leagues entirely when that term could easily also apply to cards with minor league logos, I'm thinking this as being potentially offensive to people who collect real minor league cards (not singling anyone in particular out here...).

Like I said, its just fascinating to watch all the logo love some people have. Rookie season matters most to a lot of people, cards issued before that can be considered pre-rookies.

(02-01-2017, 08:24 PM)scottbdoug Wrote: okay then, im not here to argue with you, let me be specific, i want the first card of a player that comes from a mainstream set from a mainstream manufacturer that is not in a minor league set. If it happens to also be considered hie rookie card so be it, if it happens to be an insert, which rarely happens but occasionally a player gets an insert in a set before a regular base card of him is issued, then i want that card.

most who collect first cards agree with this way of thinking, its not like it is something new to define its been around since before rookie cards were termed and brought into the lexicon. the insert idea is fairly recent (since the 90s) and others prefer to exclude them but not many.

so... a first card, not in minor league set, made by one of the mainstream manufacturers in one of their regular sets.

you have hit the nail on the head, im not interested in minor league cards.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

(02-02-2017, 07:02 AM)scottbdoug Wrote: you have hit the nail on the head, im not interested in minor league cards.
So my main PC guy is Mike Trout ... I know, I know, really creative pick there ... and I love chasing down his minor league/draft pick cards, but I have acquired all of them in trades.

I haven't bought minor league cards since waaaay back in the day, but I do think they have a definite niche among PC collectors.

To call them rookie cards, though? No.

(02-02-2017, 10:57 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: So my main PC guy is Mike Trout ... I know, I know, really creative pick there ... and I love chasing down his minor league/draft pick cards, but I have acquired all of them in trades.

I haven't bought minor league cards since waaaay back in the day, but I do think they have a definite niche among PC collectors.

To call them rookie cards, though? No.
Yeah, this. They can be called 'first cards' or 'pre-rookie cards', though Smile

It's a shame that so many completely overlook minor league logo cards. Frankly their logos and team names are absolutely refreshing... especially considering how many years a (decent) player will have the same old major league logos which get kinda boring after a while.

Big difference between first year cards and rookie cards. I grew tired long ago clarifying the designations but if you go back in my old posts via my profile there are several threads and responses on this topic.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)