`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 Upper Deck Baseball Cases

1989 Upper Deck Baseball Cases
I have been out of the hobby for a while and am confused about the 1989 Upper Deck Baseball foil cases. I have seen the outside of boxes that say INCLUDES HIGH NUMBERS and I have seen cases that do not say INCLUDES HIGH NUMBERS. Yet one is far more valuable than the other at least according to BBexchange.com buying offers. Which one is considered the Low series Foil case and which one is the High series Foil case?

RE: 1989 Upper Deck Baseball Cases
"This attractive 800-card standard-size set was introduced in 1989 as the premier issue by the then-fledgling Upper Deck company. Unlike other 1989 major releases, this set was issued in two separate series - a low series numbered 1-700 and a high series numbered 701-800. Cards were primarily issued in fin-wrapped low and high series foil packs, complete 800-card factory sets and 100-card high series factory sets. High series packs contained a mixture of both low and high series cards. Collectors should also note that many dealers consider that Upper Deck's "planned" production of 1,000,000 of each player was increased (perhaps even doubled) later in the year due to the explosion in popularity of the product. The cards feature slick paper stock, full color on both the front and the back and carry a hologram on the reverse to protect against counterfeiting. Subsets include Rookie Stars (1-26) and Collector's Choice art cards (668-693). The more significant variations involving changed photos or changed type are listed below. According to the company, the Murphy and Sheridan cards were corrected very early, after only two percent of the cards had been produced. Similarly, the Sheffield was corrected after 15 percent had been printed; Varsho, Gallego, and Schroeder were corrected after 20 percent; and Holton, Manrique, and Winningham were corrected 30 percent of the way through. Rookie Cards in the set include Jim Abbott, Sandy Alomar Jr., Dante Bichette, Craig Biggio, Steve Finley, Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Gary Sheffield, John Smoltz and Todd Zeile. Cards with missing or duplicate holograms appear to be relatively common and are generally considered to be flawed copies that sell for substantial discounts"

- Beckett
i.e., the low number case should be a little more $ because the chances of getting a Griffey RC (#1) and you're getting the first "planned" run.
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

Thank you for all of that info. I can conclude that if I open up the case the blue boxes would not have the red NEW! printed in the bottom right corner. Is that right?

(01-18-2017, 10:53 PM)flamethrower Wrote: "This attractive 800-card standard-size set was introduced in 1989 as the premier issue by the then-fledgling Upper Deck company. Unlike other 1989 major releases, this set was issued in two separate series - a low series numbered 1-700 and a high series numbered 701-800. Cards were primarily issued in fin-wrapped low and high series foil packs, complete 800-card factory sets and 100-card high series factory sets. High series packs contained a mixture of both low and high series cards. Collectors should also note that many dealers consider that Upper Deck's "planned" production of 1,000,000 of each player was increased (perhaps even doubled) later in the year due to the explosion in popularity of the product. The cards feature slick paper stock, full color on both the front and the back and carry a hologram on the reverse to protect against counterfeiting. Subsets include Rookie Stars (1-26) and Collector's Choice art cards (668-693). The more significant variations involving changed photos or changed type are listed below. According to the company, the Murphy and Sheridan cards were corrected very early, after only two percent of the cards had been produced. Similarly, the Sheffield was corrected after 15 percent had been printed; Varsho, Gallego, and Schroeder were corrected after 20 percent; and Holton, Manrique, and Winningham were corrected 30 percent of the way through. Rookie Cards in the set include Jim Abbott, Sandy Alomar Jr., Dante Bichette, Craig Biggio, Steve Finley, Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, Gary Sheffield, John Smoltz and Todd Zeile. Cards with missing or duplicate holograms appear to be relatively common and are generally considered to be flawed copies that sell for substantial discounts"

- Beckett
i.e., the low number case should be a little more $ because the chances of getting a Griffey RC (#1) and you're getting the first "planned" run.

If I remember correctly, the high # boxes had that instead of NEW on the red stripe.
I hope this makes sense.

(01-19-2017, 08:31 AM)dprong26 Wrote: Thank you for all of that info. I can conclude that if I open up the case the blue boxes would not have the red NEW! printed in the bottom right corner. Is that right?