`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage question

Storage question
I have a question about how you guys store cards. I am a big fan of the screw down holders, but have noticed the magnetic ones are way more popular. The problem is, the regular 1 screw holders fit nicely into those 2 row storage boxes, however the magnetic ones are too tall to fit into those boxes. What do you guys store them in? I'd like to switch to the magnetic ones, but would like to fit them uniformly into a box, standing on end. Thanks in advance.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

RE: Storage question
I buy all of my storage boxes from BCW. The best box that I get for my magnetic cases is a Monster Storage box 3200 ct. I have 5 of them that are totally filled with magnetic cases of my most valuable cards. That's what I would suggest for a storage box for the magnetic cases.

I would agree with Corbin. I have some shoe boxes that the Magnetic holders do fit in, there maybe is an 1/8th of an inch taller, but the lids fit down good. The 3200 boxes work extremely well.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Just curious, what your guy's threshold is to go from top loader to magnetic, i.e. value, personal connection, other?
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

Thanks guys. I'll try BCW.

(01-11-2017, 12:00 AM)flamethrower Wrote: Just curious, what your guy's threshold is to go from top loader to magnetic, i.e. value, personal connection, other?
For me it's a little of both. The most valuable ones go in a screw down, or a magnetic, I have a small very specific collection that is going in all magnetic. And a have a few that are sentimental that go in them too. I used to put all cards that were numbered /10 or less in one, but now those are getting more and more common.

Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

Since I buy a lot of the magnetic cases in bulk. I basically put any card that has a value of $10.00 or more in a magnetic case. Considering the cases cost me about $1.00 - $1.50 each. When I go to sell them at card shows I recover the cost of the cases with the price I am asking for the card and the presentation of the card is much better in the magnetic cases if you are trying to sell the card at a higher price. I have sold many cards at card shows that went for $50.00 to $100.00 because of the effect that the magnetic case gives the card and the clearer and sharper look. Just my opinion. That's probably why I have 5 boxes of 3200 ct. filled with magnetic cases with cards in them. I don't like the screw down because a lot of people do not bring a screw drive with them to the shows......LOL

Screw vs. Mag
They both look great, but if you drop them the screw-down holds the card while the mag ... not so much.
Screwdown get scratched by the other screwdown cases if you don't countersink the screw all the way, or if you go too far in. I put them in a team bag to prevent this. The screw holder is cheaper in price and a little more forgiving when a card is mis-cut slightly larger. The screw holders come in different dimensions for 'tobacco' cards, 52 Bowman, Goudey 'square' cards, etc. The mag holder company makes one-touch for booklets and really thick cards. It's really best to have a mix of both, IMO
I usually try and keep cards worth $10 and under in penny sleeves and top loaders. $15 and over in a mag/screw type case. $10-$20 it depends on PC or not, specific player, etc. $1 and less in 800 count boxes,, unprotected.
I prefer storage in the 2-row shoebox... all the holders and toploaders fit nicely. The bigger boxes get to heavy and cumbersome and become a task to browse through, while the shoebox is more managible, and i think they stack up nicer than the bigger, mega box.
Hope this helps
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

So, am I incorrect in assuming that penny sleeves inside a 9-page 3-ring binder will not hold its full worth capability? This is all I do with all my cards except the thick ones that are in bags and stacked on a shelf.

Reading about all these magnetic holders makes me wonder...

I love the Magnetic One-Touch holders for my PC. I put in all of my vintage stars and SP's. Here's what I do:

1 - Card goes into One-Touch
2 - One-Touch goes into a One-Touch Plastic Bag (I was stoked to find out they make those!)
3 - Card then goes into a GRADED 2-Row Shoebox (Plenty of space for cards)

Happy Collecting!

Mark

(01-12-2017, 11:23 AM)madamson Wrote: ...
2 - One-Touch goes into a One-Touch Plastic Bag (I was stoked to find out they make those!)
Consider my mind blown, wish I would have known about this sooner. I can tell that enjoying my card dulls the clarity of the one touch.... Thanks!

Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...